Would driving with the parking brake up damage the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you leave the handbrake on when hot without putting the car in gear, it can roll away when the brakes cool, and the pressure relaxes (from metal shrinkage). A couple of 206 gti's have done this that i know of. My car never has the problem because it's so damn light the rear brakes never do anything. :p

Most cars with rear discs use the discs for the handbrake, although some have seperate inboard drums.

If you leave the handbrake on, you can cook your discs, boil the brake fluid, and/or stretch the cable (meaning you have to pull it further next time).

When parking i always use the handbrake, and only use gears aswell on hills.

So....when people power-slide useing handbrake it lock the back wheels?
Also, when the handbrake is up, is the pressure to the brakes....alot?

AND...what about the nice cars with electric handbrakes? they work the same?

Dark_Templer_102 said:

Yes thats one method, you can also jump on and off the throttle fast, go into a corner hard on the brakes and turn, or you can just throw the weight of the car if you know what you are doing. There are other ways I know those are just the ones that come to mind.

The Hand brake or E-brake as its often refered to only acutates the rear brake on a car, they are usually simple set ups to take over if you loose brake pressure. Thats why most of them tend to be cable instead of hooked up to the brake line.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
Also, when the handbrake is up, is the pressure to the brakes....alot?

Depends on the set up. My 911 has discs all around but for the hand brake its a drum that is cast into the hub of the disc. Very trick set up because technically I have three brakes but it doesnt create a who lot of pressure. So in point it really depends on the type of brake setup but most of the time its not that much because the front brakes generally handle most of the stopping.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
AND...what about the nice cars with electric handbrakes? they work the same?

Hmm curious, dont know for sure but my concern would be if that car stalls would the electronics still allow for use of the hand brake. I imagine yes but im not familiar with this setup.

Once, during the winter, some water got on-to my handbrake cable on the right rear wheel. It froze overnight, then the next morning, after I got down the street, I noticed a funny smell, I pulled over, got out, and :shock: , my brake pad was on fire. The first thing that came to my mind was: Hey, thats what happens to the McMerc SLR's brakes when you use them alot, and my rotors are glowing, just like on race cars, COOOOOOOL!, :bangin: :bangin: Hey I better put it out, my brake lines are rubber, and rubber melts. DUH!, So I blew out the fire, waited a couple of minutes till the heat from the brakes melted the ice on the cable, and I was on my way. Moral of the story: If your brakes are on fire and you dont own a McMerc, its probably not a good thing. Iron brakes, like on my car, will get deformed if they get to heated and thats not a good thing.

Porscheguy79 said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:

The Hand brake or E-brake as its often refered to only acutates the rear brake on a car, they are usually simple set ups to take over if you loose brake pressure. Thats why most of them tend to be cable instead of hooked up to the brake line.

Depends on the car. A mates Subaru Brumby has a hand brake that engages on the front wheels only.

Status
Not open for further replies.