R.I.P. MacBook Pro

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
Well the writing has been on the wall, seemingly for the past 3 years. Numerous visits to the doctor, 3500 quid in medical warranty bills and 5 new batteries. Tonight the old girl finally decided to Kick the bucket, with one last click of the hard drive heads returning to their seat.

I'm not sure what the problem is, it may of been
To do with the new hard drive I transplanted in a few months ago to breathe some new life into the beast, but I'm not so sure. Perhaps a duff capictor on the power circuitry finally flaked out for the last time.

What ever happened, it will not awaken. It is now merely a paper weight or door stop. Albeit one still worth a Bob or two.

R.I.P. 2007 Santa rosa MacBook Pro :(

May you rest in peace, otispunkmeyer's Macbook Pro. I didn't knew you as a gadget, but I knew you as a topic. And you certainly got more threads than any other laptops I know. And that has to be worth... something.. I guess.

Well it is rather solid and made of metal, so you could probably still use it as a weapon at least.

Make it into a fishtank.

Oh wait.

My 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook sheds a tear for its older brother. It will leave a beachball and make a Sosumi sound at its grave.

Well the burial... in the wardrobe. is complete

time to search for a new one.

gives me chance now to think about whether i actually need to go for a laptop again, or whether i can survive with something like an iMac. i think if i was going to go laptop and mac again it would be the 17incher. portability is nice to have, but its not essential. hence the upgrade in size, i would like more screen real estate.

or do i ditch Mac OSX altogether and go back to windows? for the price of a 17inch MBP i could actually deck out a decent desktop using some key parts i already have lying about (Antec P100 case, 400W seasonic S12 PSU, DVD-RW drive) and get a smaller 13.3 inch machine as a kind of companion device when i need to be on the road. I do like Windows 7, but i still think OSX is my choice. after all the battery trouble i had with mine, do i feel confident in buying a new machine with no user replaceable battery? tough decision.

whats more, i think very few laptops today really match the new Uni-body mac's for build quality. ive never felt something so solid and rigid as one of those things. i have to bare in mind that i can get a new mac with full whack student discount

Last edited:
Don't go back to Windows. I've got 7 on my seedbox and XP as a VM, and even that only because I got both for free (university licences). 7 is not bad, but I would never ditch OS X for it. The maintenance alone puts me off Windows completely - anti-virus, anti-this-that-and-the-other, scandisk, defrag and half a dozen updates every other week... no, thanks. And then there's the driver trouble that you can save yourself if you stay in Apple's golden cage - admittedly, it's got a lot better over the years, but it still exists.

Hmm, Have you used windows on a regular basis lately? Whether or not switching (and what you switch to) is a good idea is entirely dependent on what you are using it for. I have to use Vista in my bootcamp because windows 7 doesn't seem to support older tablets and a new one of what I have would be about 400$ and the only programs I use windows for tend to be art ones. So yeah, I personally would not switch to windows unless they had something big over OSX.

The maintenance alone puts me off Windows completely - anti-virus, anti-this-that-and-the-other, scandisk, defrag and half a dozen updates every other week... no, thanks. And then there's the driver trouble that you can save yourself if you stay in Apple's golden cage - admittedly, it's got a lot better over the years, but it still exists.

No need to do that. Whack an anti-virus on it (MSE will do) and leave it to its own devices. Windows 7 only needs high maintenance if you want to give it high maintenance or if you enjoy hunting for dodgy software.

No need to do that. Whack an anti-virus on it (MSE will do) and leave it to its own devices. Windows 7 only needs high maintenance if you want to give it high maintenance or if you enjoy hunting for dodgy software.

This.

I guess I'm used to the worst due to XP and my better half's (now gone :yes: ) Vista. Anyway, good to hear that they've improved it.

No need for defragmentation either, just buy an SSD.
They're still a bit dear :may: if you want one to replace a notebook HDD. Speed is fine, but I couldn't do with just 64 GB.

A nonportable machine is being considered, so the option of small SSD + large spinning magnet (how do they work :lol:) would give speed and space at reasonable prices.

I have an iMAC used to be died in the wool Windows man but I like both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (my wife and daughter both have Laptops with windows 7 on) - I just prefer my iMAC I have the 27 incher - really good IMHO. Comes fully loaded with software - I managed to get a copy of MS Office for 9.00 GBP through work - works fine.

I have a current gen Mac Mini and it works great for most of my computing work (and is silent). I have a loud PC for Civ V. :p

i say if you want to get a full desktop computer, build one yourself with a p55 intel board. If you do, you can dual boot 7 (which i like alot more than SL) and Snow Leopard. Loading Snow Leopard on a p55 board is almost as easy as installing windows. takes about 30 min total. Runs great too very very stable. If you want the best of both world this is the best route. Power of a Mac pro for half the price with all the customization and flexibility you can ask for.

I ran a Hackintosh for a year, it required too much effort. That is with me buying a Gigabyte P45 and all other well supported hardware.

Well from my experience, Windows 7 is much better than XP in terms of speed and long-term performance. Probably nowhere near a good as Snow Leopard, but I feel that is is very good for regular use. That along with the inclusion of the (free) Windows XP mode, it has pretty much everything that I need!

I have an iMAC used to be died in the wool Windows man but I like both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (my wife and daughter both have Laptops with windows 7 on) - I just prefer my iMAC I have the 27 incher - really good IMHO. Comes fully loaded with software - I managed to get a copy of MS Office for 9.00 GBP through work - works fine.

yeah i was having magical dreams last night of getting a 27 inch iMac and then having my trusty old Dell 2005FPW (IPS panel) in portrait mode next to it. this is all dependent on whether i go for this PhD mind, as if i am offered it and i take it, i can pretty much have what ever computer i want given to me by the university for use at the department. so i was thinking Imac bought by me, and then a good laptop (probs another mac..but that depends on whos on their supplier list and what software ill be needing to run) bought by the uni.

the 17inch MBP is a lovely thing, but i think its just going to be a bit too expensive, even with the discount. its ?1900 full price, and the discounts only like 15%. perhaps i could see if they do a higher res screen on the 15 inch model, 1440x900 screen res is a bit restricting.

the 27inch imac has an aura about it though, the damn thing always draws me in anytime im in a shop selling them. the screen just induces much salivating.