Forum Suggestions/Issues

Computer. Chrome running on Debian 12.
It was a .jpg
Interesting. The forums are set to allow maximum upload size of 128MB, no resolution limits. Almost all image/video files are accepted, so not sure why your image would be rejected.
Code:
m4v, mov, mp4, mp4v, mpeg, mpg, ogv, webm, mp3, opus, ogg, wav, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif, jif, mkv, hevc, webp, zip, heif, heic, tiff, bmp, psd, raw, eps, ai, indd, dwg

I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it but attachments still seem to be causing issues with the site. They're very slow to load and while loading, the site seems unresposive. It's as if the bandwidth is so constrained that it can't even serve the home page while images are loading, one at a time.

Not sure if this affects everyone when one visitor is loading images, but while loading the images on page 21 of The Power Tools Thread I couldn't load the main forum page in another tab. Now the images have loaded, everything seems fine. I checked on Speedtest and there are no obvious issues at my end. :hmm:

I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it but attachments still seem to be causing issues with the site. They're very slow to load and while loading, the site seems unresposive. It's as if the bandwidth is so constrained that it can't even serve the home page while images are loading, one at a time.

Not sure if this affects everyone when one visitor is loading images, but while loading the images on page 21 of The Power Tools Thread I couldn't load the main forum page in another tab. Now the images have loaded, everything seems fine. I checked on Speedtest and there are no obvious issues at my end. :hmm:
What speeds are you able to achieve with this test file? https://forums.finalgear.com/data/1GB.bin ?

Edit: This issue may be related to "Lazy Image Loading" implemented by browsers. https://web.dev/articles/browser-level-image-lazy-loading
I'll look into the server side and see if there are any performance items left on the table, I am getting a small delay (about .5 - 1 second) before each attachment starts loading.

Unrelated to attachments, I went through the database and rebuilt a few indexes and tables that were showing fragmentation, shouldn't really impact speeds but might help with the random page hangs. Still chasing this issue down.

Last edited:
Outage from today: host claims unscheduled maintenance on the VPS, but our assignment wasn't under the affected servers. MySQL was showing timeouts on all legit login attempts-- gave it a few reboots and it took a while for it to recover.

Going to research a new host, hate having to migrate everything but that's probably best due to the continued issues we are seeing on the site.

Has there been a change to the forums recently? On mobile I keep getting a popup wanting me to install Tapatalk. I don't recall that happening nearly as much in the past.

Has there been a change to the forums recently? On mobile I keep getting a popup wanting me to install Tapatalk. I don't recall that happening nearly as much in the past.
No updates to Tapatalk in months-- I've been trying to reproduce the issue, but it doesn't show up when I am in a position to trace out where it is coming from so I can resolve it.

Edit: What version of Android/iOS/other are you seeing this on, and do you have the TapaTalk app installed/registered?

Last edited:
Edit: What version of Android/iOS/other are you seeing this on, and do you have the TapaTalk app installed/registered?
While it does not happen often and I can’t say the frequency has increased for me (honestly can’t tell, happens too seldomly), I’ve also seen the mentioned overlay a few times.
iOS 17.3.1 (occurrences for me probably earlier versions). never had tapatalk installed on iOS, but may have had it once upon a time, still on an android device, many (!) years ago, though.

No updates to Tapatalk in months-- I've been trying to reproduce the issue, but it doesn't show up when I am in a position to trace out where it is coming from so I can resolve it.

I don't have Tapatalk installed.

Android 14. Build UQ1A.240205.002

It hasn't done it for the last couple of times I've loaded the forum. I wonder if a cookie expired or was cleared?

I edited the smartbanner code to exit out versus generate the banner code-- everything appears to still be working, let me know if it somehow appears again.

We also have a status page, for showing our lovely lack of uptime and random outages;

Added two more status monitors to the uptime tracking site- HTTP and SQL. Trying to get to the bottom of the outage issue that's been plaguing the site... host is claiming "you are using too much ram"... which doesn't explain multi-hour outages.