2020 Corvette C8 Unveiled

the world has gone a long way if a corvette is a halo car...
it was supposed to be the cheapest sports car around, the most bang for the fewest bucks

I know. But if some people have "already" have trouble handling the old front-mid-engined one... :p

some people have trouble handling a VW bug! :D

it was supposed to be the cheapest sports car around, the most bang for the fewest bucks
It’s always been a halo car, price is not what makes a car a halo car.

If anything, being cheap makes it an even better one as it makes the dream much more acquirable. Even if you do indeed end up leaving the dealer with a Suburban (which, by the by, is also listed at around sixty grand)

It will be interesting to see what the final pricing structures and options look like. It will no doubt be easy to spec out a C8 to a very healthy price.

Here is what the basic pricing looks like on the C7 Stingray, Grand Sport, and Z06:

With the ZR1 costing $123k.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

You're going to have to join us in the motorcycle cult if you want new vehicles that you shift yourself.

Um, no? The Vette was never the cheapest sports car around; even in 1953 you could get cheaper options. Only when they started sticking the V8 in it did it begin to have better performance than other sports cars of similar price.

Last edited:
You're going to have to join us in the motorcycle cult if you want new vehicles that you shift yourself.
The older I get, the more responsibilities I have, the more idiot drivers I see, and the less I want a bike.

You sure they didn't interchange a lot of drive train parts between the "V" Caddis and the Vette? Also I was under the impression that they shared a lot between Camaro and Vette, which I could see as being one of the reasons they are dropping the Camaro since they would have to keep two bespoke chassis, drivetrains, transmissions, etc...

C5 and later Vettes have had custom manual gearboxes based on (originally) the Tremec T-56. Thing is, they're always made into a transaxle then mounted in the rear of the vehicle. This does not directly swap into the V Caddies or the Camaro. Their automatics were similarly custom and 'reformatted'.

bjcorvettes09_27.jpg

The only things that can be shared between the C5-C7 Vettes and the CTS-V/Camaro/Etc., is the block and a percentage of the engine parts. Most of the time even the belt drive system is actually different too. The rest of the drivetrain can't be shared - not the transaxle, not the torque tube, nothing. So most of the Vette being bespoke and not sharable is nothing new.

The last Vette with a driveline you could easily transplant into something else that was conventional RWD was the C4:
1984-corvette-20_a.jpg

Last edited:
The older I get, the more responsibilities I have, the more idiot drivers I see, and the less I want a bike.
I have same problem, my hope is funnily enough, autonomous vehicles. When computers are doing most of the driving I have to worry less about idiotic behavior

Or fork out the money for a Porsche.

They tried to go PDK-only on the GT3 a few years ago, which created an outrage, so they listened and brought it back. I'm not sure about this source, but with the latest GT3, almost 2/3 are ordered with manual transmission. So, this is strongly depending on those outraging over the lack of manual options to actually put their money where their mouth is when manuals are available. For non-motorsport/GT-cars it's not looking that good. Last I heard, it was around 20 % being equipped with manual.

Alternatively, there is also Lotus, they don't even have a DCT...

Chevy used the wrong color to premiere the car in my opinion.