BAR and PSI

should be roughly 15psi... but why do you measure in PSI... its only americans that measure in that unit

pfft. Just use teh google.

1 bar = 14.5037738 psi.

Though you have to take into consideration that 1 bar is atmospheric, so its different. For me I calculated it one day in physics since i was bored and it worked out to be a little more than 14.6psi

OfTheSin said:

1 bar = 14.5037738 psi.

Though you have to take into consideration that 1 bar is atmospheric, so its different. For me I calculated it one day in physics since i was bored and it worked out to be a little more than 14.6psi

No its not. It is 1 atmosphere at sea level at 20*C. ie its a constant. Should have been listening in physics instead of working things out wrong.

the reason is obvious... all I have to do is answer this stupid question and I get 1 extra post which makes me closer to getting an account on hokie's FTP

Leppy said:
OfTheSin said:

1 bar = 14.5037738 psi.

No its not. It is 1 atmosphere at sea level at 20*C. ie its a constant. Should have been listening in physics instead of working things out wrong.

:lmao:

he just wanted so say something sensible so it doesn't sound like he's postwhoring so he just made it complicated so people won't understand and accept it, little did he know there are loads of peple who are in Engineering and even more studying to become Engineering, its the wrong place to start showing off your physics or maths dude :mrgreen:

No, I dont really care about getting an FTP site. I just stated it wrong.
A BAR is a measure of pressure. Its caclulated by the pressure (weight) of the Earth's Atmoosphere at sea level. It is not necessarily a constant, It depends on your elevation. Who said anything regarding the elevation was required to be above sea level? Sitting 10m below the surface of the ocean would represent different results as would sitting 10m below the surface of a fresh water lake.

While I might of stated it wrong, it didnt necessarily mean it wrong.

well... if you cared to read all the posts before yours, you would have noticed that the question was answered ages ago ;)

OfTheSin said:
Its caclulated by the pressure (weight) of the Earth's Atmoosphere at sea level. It is not necessarily a constant, It depends on your elevation.

No, BAR is a constant unit. The measurement taken to decide what a BAR was, is purely a reference point. It's like taking the boiling point of water to reference 100 degrees C. You don't vary your temperature scale if you live at altitude, do you?

OfTheSin said:
No, I dont really care about getting an FTP site. I just stated it wrong.
A BAR is a measure of pressure. Its caclulated by the pressure (weight) of the Earth's Atmoosphere at sea level. It is not necessarily a constant, It depends on your elevation. Who said anything regarding the elevation was required to be above sea level? Sitting 10m below the surface of the ocean would represent different results as would sitting 10m below the surface of a fresh water lake.

While I might of stated it wrong, it didnt necessarily mean it wrong.

Yeah... it was wrong.

First, in bold, you contradicted yourself.

Secondly, There are 2 different uses for the unit BAR and I use them both in my engineering degree.

1. 1 BAR = 100Kpa. CONSTANT.

2. 1 BAR = Atmospheric Pressure at sea level @ 20*C (which is about 101.3Kpa.) CONSTANT.

You should specify which one you are using.