BMW 3 Series Coupe!!! First Spy Shot!!!!

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this design either. To me the rear half looks very similar to the old Rover 75 - which is not a good thing.

mautzel said:
Mischief007 said:
The design is really screwed up. I hate it. I'd take the E46 myself but I prefer the E39 5-series ;).

VERY good choice ;)

In particular, 540i with the M Sport package and 6-speed (If not then 5-speed will do) manual.

In general we need to tell BMW to fire Bangle. These cars had attitude. These new Bangle BMWs are just a car, as JC put it. Just 15 feet of car. Can't be bothered to look at one anymore.

logo said:
what what small wheels.. def. need bigger wheels to better the looks.. boring look though, or I could say very normal.

Darn, I hoped only Americans had wet dreams about rim sizes :/

*sigh* bangle killed BMW
the only model I like is his 5 series... but it's not that great either
it's a shame...

We seriously need to consider assasinating Bangel. Nevermind, let's just petition all BMW fans to have him publically hanged.

Z Draci said:
We seriously need to consider assasinating Bangel. Nevermind, let's just petition all BMW fans to have him publically hanged.
Hehe, I already had the chance to kill him. ;)
Saw him with his wife (I think) at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 2003, on a press day before it actually opened. He was taking a closer look at the Mk V Golf.

I like bangle's designs.....

they're cool and unique.

I also like the old BMW designs, it's just a shame that no BMW will be designed like that till the next retrovolution.

bangle is a great visionary, his designs stand out, that always leads to controversy...

design isn't about doing the same over and over again, its about creating something new. by doing that, you make the old cars stand out as classics and the new ones as revolutions.
and just look at the e39 5 series, without the M aero kit, its simply a boring car, unlike the e60. whoever did the e39 will not be remembered, but bangle stands out like usually only supercar designers do. the new design also represents the different audience, bmw buyers are usually younger than those who go for mercs and appearently it works. bmw was breaking one record after the other lately, while merc and others struggled.
if a carmaker designes an unspectacular car, everybody complains how boring it is or how they stole this and that from another model. bangle did something unique, but still everybody complains...

i actually don't care how "good" a BMW looks, it doesn't need to be pretty, far from, but it should have attitude

and the E39 definately had attitude, just like the E46, unlike the new 3 :yucky:
(new 3 = E59??), it looks way to polite

I think. Not bad to be honest, it is not a far cry from the old three series and the one before looks fabulous in Convertable and M3 stages so i would like to think that this one will to.

ryosuke said:
bangle is a great visionary, his designs stand out, that always leads to controversy...

design isn't about doing the same over and over again, its about creating something new. by doing that, you make the old cars stand out as classics and the new ones as revolutions.
and just look at the e39 5 series, without the M aero kit, its simply a boring car, unlike the e60. whoever did the e39 will not be remembered, but bangle stands out like usually only supercar designers do. the new design also represents the different audience, bmw buyers are usually younger than those who go for mercs and appearently it works. bmw was breaking one record after the other lately, while merc and others struggled.
if a carmaker designes an unspectacular car, everybody complains how boring it is or how they stole this and that from another model. bangle did something unique, but still everybody complains...

AMEN TO THAT. Finally someone who understands the BMW design direction. The new designs are daring and controversial but they WILL be remembered and they are definitely unique. Unlike the new C and E class; anonymous cars.

The good stuff always takes some time to get used to ;)

now you gotta include the new 5er in you sig. :lol:

btw, what the hell is clarkson doing in you ava? i can't recall having seen that.

Cactuar said:
ryosuke said:

AMEN TO THAT. Finally someone who understands the BMW design direction. The new designs are daring and controversial but they WILL be remembered and they are definitely unique. Unlike the new C and E class; anonymous cars.

The good stuff always takes some time to get used to ;)
As a fellow BMW fan, I don't know whether to agree or disagree with you. Bangle and company are great visionaries, but for the wrong company. BMW has always prided itself on clean, elegant designs, not wild creases that scream, "we're futuristic!" Look at everything they've built since the 2002: they're all simple, elegant designs that still look contemporary today. Though it's a designer's dilemma; where do they go from here? Bangle's visions are spectacular, but not for a company as conservative in design as BMW. At another company, such as Toyota or Honda which are both as respectable as BMW, he wouldn't have taken as much flak.

e30, e28, e24, e23 and e21 do not look very contemporary...at least not in europe. :D
furhtermore i think that bangles design, as visionary as they are, still aren't in-your-face-futuristic, like lots of renaults these days or some of the modern japanese cars.
the only thing i dislike is the quite extreme differences between the cars, especially regarding the front and rear lights. it would indeed fit bmw to have a more common face on all their cars. the kidneys, however, remain and link bmw models of today and the past, thus conserving the bmw look to a certain extent.

BMW threw in the towel when they changed the front end from the E46. and that side crease makes it looks like a KIA. it may still drive like a bimmer, but it looks like shit. the only nice looking thing they have now is the M6. and even thats abit iffy. the wheels are also to small... :|