Car and Driver magazine launches campaign to save manual transmissions!

Wtf. Is it only my area that half asses it?

Parallel parking was neither covered in my driver training nor on road test. However my granddaddy taught me when I was 14 in about... 1 minute and I've remembered ever since.

my mother isn't very good so I don't think her teaching me would help. The last time she parallel paked with me in the car she hit the car behind us. :|

Once you figure out parallel parking, you learn how to park back end in as a bonus; it uses the same general principles. Rear visibility helps in the learning process, either that or a rear bumper you don't care about.

My parking was significantly improved the day I realized the back of my spoiler is almost exactly at the back of the car.

My rear visibility is so bad I don't bother looking back anymore :(

That would explain how the girl in the new beetle backed into my truck in a my apartment parking lot last year, while I was sitting in it. This lot is wide enough I can get my 19 foot truck in and out, yet the beetle was unable to make it :p

Ack, my rear visibility is TERRIBLE in the Failtima. The Grand Am wasn't great, either, since it has its rear end somewhat in the air. I took my driver's test in the Grand Am and knocked over the plastic pylon we were supposed to park between. Oops. I still passed, though...what does that say about the ease of getting a license here? Eek.

Practice makes perfect with parallel parking, though. I got a lot better at it in college where the only spots available sometimes were parallel spots.

Last edited:
Rear visibility in the Series is good, but it doesn't help with parking because most of the time what's behind me is usually smaller and therefore hidden below the window. Having a completely flat back end is handy when parking up against walls though, but I still have to remember that the (non working) fog lights and tow hitch both stick out a bit.

Parallel parking is interesting. The Series is short but the steering lock isn't very good and the lack of power steering means you pretty much can't turn the wheel unless it's rolling. parking is very possible though, I've done it many times.

Last edited:
That would explain how the girl in the new beetle backed into my truck in a my apartment parking lot last year, while I was sitting in it. This lot is wide enough I can get my 19 foot truck in and out, yet the beetle was unable to make it :p

The convertibles are worse. I have a 1x2' window with 2' of fabric on each side. Unless something is directly behind me ad decently tall I will not see it.

Rear visibility????!

24202280008_large.jpg

Haha, HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

I barely have FORWARD VISIBILITY!

2528620009_large.jpg

Last edited:
My rear visibility is so bad I don't bother looking back anymore :(
You sound like a safe careful driver.

My driving school covered parallel parking. The explained it pretty well too, so I've never had issues fitting into small spots.

People complaining about bad visibility need to try driving these around for a while:

newcubevan1.jpg

service-van.jpg

If average people can learn to drive tese, then you can back up your normal car. ;)

Its going a heck of a lot stronger than the manual is.

Really? How many brands have manual transmissions? How many brands use pushrod engines? ;)

Merc63, I don't think anyone wants to hear any more transmission-related rants from you, especially since they are always exactly the same and never make much sense.

Oh, and transmission related rants from everyone else are any better? I don't want to hear closed minded idiots rant about transmssions, either, but that hasn't stopped you. So until YOU stop, I won't stop responding.

He is butthurt that some people don't like automatics and he struggles to understand the concept of personal preference. He already went onto a huge rant about that in at least one other thread :rolleyes:

Funny comming from you ,who insults enyone who actually likes automatics, as though YOU can't understand the concept of personal preference. Such a f*cking hypocrite. THAT'S what I respond to. Butthurt? No just laughing at the hypocracy and closed mindedness that you try to support as mere "opinion" and "preference." :lol:

lol I don't care if someone else likes automatics. Its just that you explode with rage when someone doesn't like them. I don't see why you have to comment about how much you like automatics every time someone says they like manuals. Its kind of annoying when you come into a thread that's basically for people that like driving stick and start saying how automatics are great. Its personal preference dude, you don't have to shit on people for disagreeing with you. Btw, when have I ever insulted someone for liking an automatic?

edit: if you really want to continue this discussion further, take it to pm

Bah. Where was the campaign to save the straight-8 engine? ;) Or the pushrod engine? or the SLA rear end? Or the manual choke? or mud huts or cave dwelling? :lol:

I love good manuals, I've only bought manual transmissions in the NEW cars I've bought, and am spending extra effort and money putting a manual trans in my project car that never had one.

And I feel that if you need to move your left leg every once in a while to pay attention, you're mentally deficient and really shouldn't be driving, as you're just as dangerous as a person talking on the cellphone. And if you think that amongst ALL the things you do to control your car and make it go from one place to another, moving that left leg occasionally is the difference between driving and not, then I suggest putting a clutch pedal on your chair at work or home and push that beotch as often as youwant and see how far you get. I'm sure that pushing that pedal on your easy chair at work every couple seconds will keep a grin on your face for years, give you all the fun and control of driving, and save you fuel and insurance costs. AND best part is, you WILL be driving, while people actually IN cars will be "mere passengers." ;)

Buy a car with a manual because you like that car that way. But rest assured, when I'm drving my 740i, I'm in control, having fun, and paying attention and only moving my left leg rarely. :mrgreen:
I have driven an 03 545 with an auto (I suspect its not very different in the engine+trans dept from your car) it would have been better as a manual...... In fact the driver of that car said the same thing, he used to drive a manual 2.7T A6 and only got auto because his fiancee doesn't want to drive manual.
clutch that makes you stall the engine at every traffic light
You mean like the stupidly light clutch they have in the A4? I swear I can't find the catch point on that thing to save my life, had no problem driving my friend's car though with a stupid heavy Stage II Exidy, I guess I just need some serious resistance :D
Drove one (well not that one a u-haul one) wasn't that hard. Also driving one of these in a huge snowstorm for like 300 miles is HILARIOUS.
@Labcoatguy,
Transmission needs to match the car.

If you have a powerful car made mostly for cruising auto or manual makes little difference (gonna be in Top Gear on the highway anyways and can accelerate from any gear well enough). But a high revving rotary with an auto is a blasphemy!!! (any high revving sports car really)

Last edited:

I made a whole thread for that! http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/2006-mazda-rx-8-a-38582/page-6/

If you have a powerful car made mostly for cruising auto or manual makes little difference (gonna be in Top Gear on the highway anyways and can accelerate from any gear well enough). But a high revving rotary with an auto is a blasphemy!!! (any high revving sports car really)

:wave: