FinalGear Racing 2010/24 Hours Of LeMons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, I can at least go through the pictures tonight and toss the bad ones.

Just a little tip for anyone who's traveling, if you run out of clean clothes and your only option is to wash them in the sink, don't use the microwave in the hotel room to get them the rest of the way dry and then take a phone call. Bad things can happen.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/10/01/PBburnedsocks.JPG

I'm laughing at myself right now, and I have two dozen pairs just like them so no big loss.

Silly PB, there's a much better way to do so:

Wash your socks out thoroughly, then wrap them in a fluffy towel, and roll the towel up into a roll.

Then wring the towel roll as tight as you can several times. This will remove most of the water.

Then put one sock on the end of a hair dryer and turn it on. Let the sock fill with hot air. And yes, keep an eye on it, but a good hair dryer will dry a sock properly in about a minute or two.

Ive had to do this a lot as my dryer is going out, and I need my black socks for work, and I need them in less than 10 minutes!:)

Last edited:
I did use the hotel hair dryer exactly like that believe it or not, I used it so much it stopped working, that's why I used the microwave to try and finish the job.

yeah, hotel air dryers are weird. I think they have a timer or something. I tried to dry my pants (from the rain!) with the one I had in my room and it shut itself off after like 20 seconds.

yeah, hotel air dryers are weird. I think they have a timer or something. I tried to dry my pants (from the rain!) with the one I had in my room and it shut itself off after like 20 seconds.

Since hair dryers use lots of electricity(watts or ohms or whatever, I'm not an electrician), they usually are plugged into an outlet that has a red reset button on it. When your hair is about half dry the dryer will quit (that's what usually happens to me) and usually the fix is pushing the little red button on the outlet to get the dryer going again.

Last edited:
Since hair dryers use lots of electricity(watts or ohms or whatever, I'm not an electrician), they usually are plugged into an outlet that has a red reset button on it. When your hair is about half dry the dryer will quit (that's what usually happens to me) and usually the fix is pushing the little red button on the outlet to get the dryer going again.

That shouldn't happen, those GFCI outlets should only trip on a sudden increase of electrical draw. I would think the more likely the culprit is all the hair and dust and whatever else is in those old hair dryers is making them overheat and tripping an internal thermal trip causing them to shut off until the cool off.

Dude, rest. You deserve it after an ordeal topped with a road trip.

Thirded.

Take a few breaths of non-horse-manurey, non-redneck air, put yer feet up, and take a nap. Then tackle the work the next day.

I woke up this morning sometime before dawn having to take a leak, and for about 15 seconds after I woke I wasn't sure if I was really at home or still in the hotel. It was a really disconcerting feeling.

Ok, I've had a chance to go through my pictures and throw out the bad ones, I've even had the energy to do a little writing. Here's a much better shot of what the BFG's we had on the front of the car looked like at the end of the race on sunday. You can really see how the rubber has melted, pooled into the grooves, and then re-solidified.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/10/04/meltedBFG.JPG

Also, tonight I saw the full video of VooDoo's first stint and boy is it a sight to behold. It's basically the GTP passing everything that gets in its way while the screaming supercharger is providing an awesome soundtrack in the background.

Ok, I've had a chance to go through my pictures and throw out the bad ones, I've even had the energy to do a little writing. Here's a much better shot of what the BFG's we had on the front of the car looked like at the end of the race on sunday. You can really see how the rubber has melted, pooled into the grooves, and then re-solidified.

Also, tonight I saw the full video of VooDoo's first stint and boy is it a sight to behold. It's basically the GTP passing everything that gets in its way while the screaming supercharger is providing an awesome soundtrack in the background.

I wish to see that video at some point XD

I will probably try to snip it into a youtube sized clip at some point, since right now it's 37 minutes long (green flag to a little before the end). If anyone is interested in the full 37 minutes we may be able to upload to vimeo (I think they don't have the 15 minute limit that youtube has)

I will probably try to snip it into a youtube sized clip at some point, since right now it's 37 minutes long (green flag to a little before the end). If anyone is interested in the full 37 minutes we may be able to upload to vimeo (I think they don't have the 15 minute limit that youtube has)

I would love it. Failing that, a simple megaupload link containing the video itself perhaps?

or put it on FTP....

or put it on FTP....

It's on Quiky's FTP actually if anyone wants to grab it, just use the upload account to connect.
Vimeo free accounts only allow 500MB/week and the video in its current format is 1.2GB :(

I'm editing right now to snip out the full course caution periods, this should get it down by quite a few minutes and make it watchable in its entirety without skipping. It just took me forever to a.get a working monitor and b. get the codecs installed and configured so that virtual dub can actually understand silly H.263

I have started work on The Long Road To LeMons II, and it's shaping up to be a rather long read. I took 7 pages of notes during the race and now I'm trying to turn them into something coherent and enjoyable to read. The last time I did this the end result wound up being 6 pages long, for part II I'm already at 5 pages and I'm just now getting to race day. I obviously have a long way to go before it's ready for prime time, but I might end up releasing this in chapters to keep from overloading people which a single large post might do. The good news is that I probably won't need much time to go from first draft to final draft, last time I wound up rewriting the entire thing, this time the rough draft is coming out much closer to a finished product.

Post it however you see fit.

The more I hear about this outing, the more I'm mad I missed it. :p So...get to typing, dude! :D

I just finished the first draft a couple minutes ago, and it's a monster, 14 pages long and over 7700 words. I still have to proofread and edit it, but I can say right now I'll be posting this in chapters, I figure one chapter a day over the course of a couple days so no one gets overloaded by the size. With some luck I'll have the first chapter posted by saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.