Idiots + cars = LOL

bone;n3548358 said:
you do understand they're trying to get rid of cars in the cities right?
taking up roadspace is a mute argument, it's the cars taking up tram space...
Which is fucking retarded. Even in those circumstances trams are still stupid. If you are getting rid of surface vehicles there are things that you can do with that land like parks, playgrounds, housing developments, shops, etc..
also, ever been to europe? not like the buildings here are 100m apart and you actually have space to create dedicated tracks.
it's a shared road or no road...

I have, even more reason to not run anything at grade

Last edited:
prizrak;n3548203 said:
A lot of women tram drivers, interesting.

You really have been away a long time. Tram drivers have been mostly women since soviet times and not much has changed..

Last edited:
skeleton;n3548450 said:
You really have been away a long time. Tram drivers have been mostly women since soviet times and not much has changed..

No trams in Simferopol so never really seen who drives em

SirEdward;n3548240 said:
A tram is not necessarily a bad idea: it's quiet,

We got some new trams recently and those are not quiet. They let out a high pitch scream when accelerating that can be heard over a mile away. Inside you hardly hear it. Weirdly old soviet era trams were/are quieter. :S

bone;n3548358 said:
you do understand they're trying to get rid of cars in the cities right?
taking up roadspace is a mute argument, it's the cars taking up tram space...

also, ever been to europe? not like the buildings here are 100m apart and you actually have space to create dedicated tracks.
it's a shared road or no road...

A few comments from someone who used to work in Europe part of the time:

1. One advantage to trams is that by being smaller than trains, they can be more focused on routes and destinations. A well-designed tram system will allow more passengers to reach their destinations without making 'changes'.
2. While subways and elevated tracks are nice and generally more space-efficient, they're also very expensive to construct and maintain.
3. As far as getting rid of cars in cities goes, trams do make sense; from both traffic congestion and air quality standpoints. When I was working in Europe, I NEVER tried driving to work. I usually rented a bicycle for nice days and used public transportation if the weather was bad. Worst case, if plans A and B didn't work, I"d take a taxi, but that only happened a very few times. I have rented cars in Europe, but only for vacations/pleasure trips... between the traffic congestion, rental prices and petrol costs, they're just too frustrating and expensive for daily use.

SL

Trams look cool and they are good for PR, but at the end of the day you can duplicate functionality with a couple of electric bendy buses.

As far as cars being restricted, I will never accept that, there might be situations where a car is not necessary or too much effort/cost (this is the case in Manhattan for example) but not an actual restriction.

I keep meaning to post these from my town, somehow this happened on a 30mph road during rush hour. Someone here must've been an idiot. I'd love to know how it happened, it doesn't suggest that another car was involved so they must've hit something at the side and flipped it? :dunno:

Last edited:
maybe he'd forgotten he just installed new front brakepads? :p

Although I don't know exactly what they look like where you live, I'm wondering if it could have fallen off some sort of transport truck?
The ones in the U.S. are tall and the vehicles on the top track are probably 2 - 3 meters off the ground. I once watched a driver try to back and windowless van off one. He missed the ramps and the van ended up pointing at the sky, parked on its back doors... What I wouldn't have given for a camera!!

SL

:lol: Oh, the thought of it has me rolling. I bet the poor driver needed new pants though. :lol:

Falling off a truck would certainly fit, I'd love to see a picture of that van in the launch position, however they had more information in the local paper today. Apparently another car was involved but they didn't say it was a moving car or mention injuries of another driver, my guess is the driver was too far over to the left and hit a parked car (while the road has double yellow lines you are allowed to park on the far side of them), driving up the side of it and rolling over. I've seen it happen plenty of times in dashcam videos and it explains why the car is in the middle of the (slightly wider than two lanes due to a crappy turn lane that isn't actually wide enough) road. There's also a tree at the side of the road they could've hit but I can't imagine it would've been able to flip the car.

Edit: confirmed from a local Facebook group, driver drifted off the road, hit a parked car and rolled. Apparently she didn't feel well but who knows if that's true or if she was just distracted.

Last edited:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1024","width":"768","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/3uZwlG0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Something something Spectre, something something Volvo drivers.

^you forgot something something trams are retarded

^Pretty self evident right there. Also why are there are two rail lines but one clearly disused?

The car is clearly the idiot there. There are two tram lines because they go one direction on each track, just like the cars are supposed to.

I'm not saying the car is not the idiot but it clearly shows how easy it is to completely block an entire tram line. Look at the track closer to us, there is tarmac on the rails.

clearly the tarmac is there so the tram can wheelie past the volvo if the driver decides to park on the other side of the road that day.