iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

How did I get the scholarship? The RDC (Race Driver Club) gives a scholarship to an SCCA volunteer worker every year. I applied, and thanks to being both an autocrosser and a club racing volunteer, I won. It covers tuition and the rental for the race car. I know the owner of the car I'm getting, so I can be sure that the car will be in top notch condition.

That's seriously cool!

Is it one of Larry Oka's cars? I know he has a bunch up at Thunderhill.

Eric Hudec had this to say about the slight tire update:

Eric Hudec said:
We made a change where damping under 0.1 m/s is substantially increase over what we were doing. This seems to have helped turn-in sharpness, initial curb impact and settled the rear end on power application. Basically the car (every car) should react better everywhere.

Tried it out in the Solstice a bit (not tried any other cars) and it definitely isn't as "skatey" on the power and it turns in with more gusto. Curbs also appear to be less of a problem.

EDIT: Some cars are crazy different now. The Mustang's low speed handling is MUCH more betterer, and the Star Mazda... well, lets just say that something amazing happened today in a test session at Infineon. MadCat360 caught a full-oppo slide in the Star Mazda coming over the brow of turn 3b.

fuck-yea-man_design.png

EDIT2: More info about the changes:

Grant Reeve said:
Don't forget that the changes in physics were not just tire damping - there was the mysterious physics subsystem tweak too, which is contributing to a lot of what you guys are feeling.

To sort of describe what that means, imagine that each 1/360th of a second iteration of our physics requires doing a bunch of steps of processing in a certain order, steps A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J and K. (just made up letters and stuff for the purposes of this demonstration) We discovered that one certain step really should be done at a different point in that sequence - say, F needed to be in front of D. So now it's doing the physics in a subtley different order A, B, C, F, D, E, G, H, I, J and K. This change gives the wheels more accurate information to use when the tire model is computed.

It is this physics change that is likely giving certain cars a better low speed feel, while the tire damping is giving cars a better curb/high speed feel. The combination of both tweaks make for a nice little update to every single car in the sim

Last edited:
That's seriously cool!

Is it one of Larry Oka's cars? I know he has a bunch up at Thunderhill.

No, its one of Michael Smith's cars. He is the Regional Executive of the SF SCCA region. Ever one of his race cars is immaculate. I've never seen his Spec Miata, but I imagine it is no different.

Man, the Corvette is such a beast. Sebring is quite challenging. I've done a fixed set race, and I tried to do a multiclass one but barely anyone showed up (4 I think). Doesn't seem too popular. Actually none of the B cars seem very popular.

We need more members. :\ Even though there are 10,000 active members per week, they all seem to stick to the lower series.

Last edited:
Sebring is a challenge. I don't really like the flow of that track. And the bumps just drive me insane. Especially the last corner. Always feels like a lottery to me whether or not I'm going to spin out or not. I don't know what to run this season. Nothing is really appealing to me at the moment. And my broadband here isn't good enough to keep a nice solid connection. Always stays in the yellow or red.

Mite just stick to Grand Am and some random corvette/radical races. Maybe throw in the skippy too.

this season im just going to race a little bit of everything. I haven't raced the mustang in awhile, so i want to do a few of those. Also, the new series with the mazda and the jetta looks interesting. Im thinking about buying the jetta to try it out. I will still make a championship run in the Class C Truck series though. that series is just so much fun.

Sounds like a plan to me. I think I'm in the same boat. Except the trucks part. I run them but only at Bristol lol. Something about that place is just so awesome. The DP feels quicker to me. I got a new PB of a 1.05.481 which is over half a second from last season for me. Using the same setup. Not sure if the update is worth half a second but I feel more confident driving it as well now. You can actually hit the kerbs without it feeling like it's about to spin out, which is nice.

I tried the Jetta and MX-5 in a practice the other day. It's pretty fun. Summit point really shows the differences between the cars though. Down the straight the Jetta's are quite a bit quicker, but round the twisty's, the Jetta is pogo hopping everywhere, where as the MX-5 is nicely poised and can attack. Jetta's are still quicker round it though. It's kinda like a mini grand am but with more balanced cars (pace wise).

I'm pretty sure I'm doing Corvette Fixed and Mustang.

Have you guys seen the new Nvidia deal? Run Nvidia logos on your car (in the primary sponsor slot) for 20 races and you'll be entered into a drawing for a GTX580 and a 3d monitor!

yea i changed all my sponsors. Also if you win the Nvidia Cup (MX-5), you win the prize.

That one's gonna be real tough - you have to gain the most points over 4 seasons. Basically, you have to win it 4 times on the trot.

Woo hoo! Won my first race. Had pole and led the whole time. No real competition though, pack of rookies (like me) so I won by 58s
(MX-5 @ Limerock)
Also got my first 59s lap in quali. A good day :D

just got the sprint car. It is by far the hardest car to drive in iRacing hands down. If you touch the gas, you basically cant steer and the rear wheels are spinning at like 140 mph and then car gets extremely tight. Then you get off the gas in the turn, the car gets extremely loose. Then you get back on the gas and you spin. After you get a hang of it though it just puts a smile on your face. I love it.

i dont know what you mean by switch. Its just like any other car. Are you talking about the real car needing a push start? ill post a video of a few laps

Some real sprint cars have 2 settings for the throttle: on and off. It's a switch that you step on.

The brake also "swings" rather than "presses".

Last edited:
iRacing is doing a really interesting promotion.

from iRacing.com
The Daytona 500 just got a little more interesting for iRacers. That?s because any iRacer who competes in the iRacing.com Daytona 500 on Saturday, February 19 will win $5 in iRacing credits if one of their fellow iRacers wins the ?real? Daytona 500 the following day.

You've got it right: compete in Round Two of the 2011 World Cup of iRacing on Saturday afternoon and if AJ Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Carl Edwards, Brad Keselowski, Bobby Labonte, Joey Logano, Juan Pablo Montoya, Martin Truex, Jr. or Steve Wallace wins NASCAR?s Daytona 500 on Sunday, your iRacing account will automatically receive $5 in iRacing credits.

And if the unthinkable should happen and an iRacer doesn?t win the Daytona 500? Well you?ll just have to be content with having raced in the biggest online stock car race of the season with about a thousand of your fellow iRacers.

The race starts at 2200 GMT (5 pm Eastern) on February 19 with practice scheduled to commence at 0045 GMT Thursday, February 17 (7:45 pm Eastern on Wednesday, February 16).

For all the details, see the series page.

There is a good chance of it happening too with all of those drivers that they listed all being in contention for a win.

Last edited:
We need more members. :\ Even though there are 10,000 active members per week, they all seem to stick to the lower series.

That's cos you need like a 400 dollar investments between tracks, cars, and a good wheel and pedals setup to be at all competitive. It's what turned me off iRacing, I loved it, but I can't afford that right now.