Jeremy Clarkson and the colonies.

The only really bad thing he ever did in my opinion (in a quality sense), is "Clarkson meets the neighbors". Because it is supposed to be satire but often crosses the line towards libel and slander with blatant lies and distortions..

I dunno....his depiction of Belgium was spot on, and everything else I saw in that series (granted I never saw all of the episodes) seemed rather genuine, highlighting the weird bits sure, that's called entertainment.
Would you realy want to see 50 min's of talk about how the Germans file their nuts and bolts?

Last edited:
Well, maybe you feel your country accurately represented but I doubt any German will.

If you'd turn the tables and a German "Jeremy Clarkson" would make a movie about Britain in the same style, it would show people wearing bowlers and umbrellas, who live in terraced house that all look the same, have a terrible taste in about everything, drink lukewarm beer, eat porridge and marmite with their fish and chips and consider it fun putting ferrets in each other's trousers.

Last edited:
Well, maybe you feel your country accurately represented but I doubt any German will.

If you'd turn the tables and a German "Jeremy Clarkson" would make a movie about Britain in the same style, it would show people wearing bowlers and umbrellas, who live in terraced house that all look the same, have a terrible taste in about everything, drink lukewarm beer, eat porridge and marmite with their fish and chips and consider it fun putting ferrets in each other's trousers.

Big deal, Americans already think that of Brits already.

Ministry_of_Silly_Walks.jpg

I am surprised this thread has not been locked yet, or at least moved to IDK the top gear section as it has little to do about cars. :|

I am surprised this thread has not been locked yet, or at least moved to IDK the top gear section as it has little to do about cars. :|

Big deal, Americans already think that of Brits already.

Ministry_of_Silly_Walks.jpg
Outdated stereotypes make me giggle. Judging by a recent video game I have been playing (supposedly based on america) japan thinks america is still full of cowboys. :lmao:

Well in some ways yes, but I do not for example think Spectre walks around in chaps and a cowboy hat with a wip around his arm. :lol:

people wearing bowlers and umbrellas, who live in terraced house that all look the same, have a terrible taste in about everything, drink lukewarm beer, eat porridge and marmite with their fish and chips and consider it fun putting ferrets in each other's trousers.
You forgot the S-Type Jaaags.

Anyway, I agree that "Meets the Neighbours" was one of his less successful efforts. I liked "Motorworld" better.

Last edited:
Clarksons hates America and everything that it stands for. I stopped watching the show years ago in protest.

Well in some ways yes, but I do not for example think Spectre walks around in chaps and a cowboy hat with a wip around his arm. :lol:

I don't even own a set of chaps or a cowboy hat.

...but maybe I should go get some. :mrgreen:

Well, I think I liked "Meet the neighbours". It is still Clarkson, so MacGuffin is right, it's entertainment, not documentary, but it is quite fun and interesting. Yes, Clarkson is stirring everything to a limit to get a laugh, but as long as you know that, you won't get offended. Why would you?

I reckon the only problem in this is if you meet someone who actually believes Clarkson completely: then you would have a hard time getting stereotypes out of the person's mind. But then, if Clarkson wasn't there, you would have a hard time putting some other stereotype out of that same peron's mind.

------

Also, I agree with Narf: when I think of Spectre, I think of a man who drives around with a shotgun always ready in his Jaaaaag. But I'm fairly sure this is not much of a stereotype... :p

Last edited:
"The new 5 series is an ugly car"

-M5 Review

"The M5 looks better..."

-M5 Estate vs E something-or-other AMG Estate

His opinion wavers greatly. Don't take what he says personally.

Wich was exactly the point of the series........I quess you kinda missed that.
While we are stereotyping, what is it with you Germans and humour? still not very good at it I see :p

Last edited:
Ah yes... as soon as a German says that he feels offended by something, he has no humour.

We had a native English teacher at school (in the 1970's) and one day he was rambling about how serious the Germans are (he was always very eager to promote his splendid island). So someone in our class suddenly said out loud: "God shave the Queen, first the legs and then between".

Guess who completely lost his sense of humour after that remark :p

Anyway, here's how we make fun of the British:
[video=youtube;BHaW-KxA0sg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHaW-KxA0sg[/video]

Last edited: