Ownership Verified: "MIGLIA" Road Trip Machine for nugget and equiraptor

So awesome! It is wonderful to see the car is being used!!!

That first photo is Utah Highway 12! We were just down there this weekend on the motorcycles - probably just missed you.

Edit - looking at your group, we saw you guys! We were at the Chuckwagon Lodge in Torrey when you rolled past, I missed seeing the Ferrari, but I remember that red Porsche 944. I think the blue Cayman was staying at our hotel - you must have been just down the street at another hotel the same time we were in town. Damn!

If only we'd known! I almost hopped on the bike to go look at the cars, but it was a long day on the road and my ass didn't want to be back in the saddle.

I'm bummed we missed @Blind_Io in Utah. We're in Indianapolis for the next few days and then plan to head up to Goshen and then head east towards Pennsylvania after that. Heading home through the southeast (route undetermined).

Would love to meet up with anyone who lives along our route if schedules align. Or if anyone has any suggestions for stops along our route. Today we saw the world's largest mailbox in Casey, IL.

IMG_8047.jpeg

Regular Ferrari Review when?

I'm rather useless for the mid-Atlantic, but I'll help y'all out when you're up in the New England or Orlando areas!

Road Trip #3 is all done and dusted! We arrived back home at 01:30 last night, a bit punchy from the road but otherwise in great spirits. Road Trip #3 (Regular Road Trip) is on the books and when I went to plot our route I discovered that we've exceeded the waypoint limits for both Apple Maps and Google Maps, even when I try to pare it down to just the highlights. Here's a rough sketch of our route using MapQuest and I clearly need to come up with a better approach for this before our next trip. Maybe I can produce a GPX or something from one of our Garmin devices and then work from that.

Regular Road Trip Stats.jpg

We covered 4,624 miles over 14 days and the odometer is sitting at 14,505 miles right now. That's 69.9 miles a day since we took delivery of the car. We passed through 15 states plus DC. No mechanical issues this trip other than a screw and washer that fell out of the wind deflector. We ended up covering a lot more distance than we had expected and got the alert for an oil change as we came down out of the mountains in Virginia. Closest dealers were in Atlanta and Charlotte. so we routed through Atlanta on the way back to get the car's first oil change (performed at 13,441 miles). It all left us pondering what percentage of Ferraris get their first oil change as a result of mileage vs just aging out.

I'm confident we were the first Ferrari to ever drive on many of the roads we covered, particularly in PA and OH. Certainly the enthusiastic waves and smiles we got and endless gas pump conversations reflected the novelty of our route and distance. Our Texas license plate also drew a lot of positive attention the farther away from home we were.

We stopped at both a Sheetz and a Wawa while in PA. More pics to follow, we've got a lot of importing and processing to do.

We met up with the owner of a beautiful verde mugello 456 GT in Indianapolis and took some green Ferrari photos. I know these various shades of green can often be difficult to capture in a photo, and I find it particularly cool to be able to get both in the same shot. I think these turned out great and are a decent reproduction of how the cars looked on the day.

645BB82F-C5B9-436B-897F-5E38D95A2454_1_105_c.jpeg 47CDD3AC-9FF2-4D30-9418-1D8999DFC39B_1_105_c.jpeg D5DCA27C-B01B-48C7-9433-F4F7EBEBB773_1_105_c.jpeg

From Indiana we cut back south and headed down to Columbus and spent a day hiking in Hocking Hills State Park. Then we headed eastwards towards Pennsylvania doing a lot of "avoid highways" in Apple Maps. This is a bold strategy and sometimes it caught us out as roads got progressively more sketch and we ended up on a crazy gravel road in the middle of nowhere near Athens, OH for a bit where it was too narrow to turn around and we just had to press on. All ended well, though, and we are continuing our tradition of taking Ferraris where they don't really belong.

B7111157-BEA2-4459-9A79-B8FF6304620D_1_105_c.jpeg
692D56EF-DA53-4CC3-8EDF-D349696489A6_1_105_c.jpeg

Tuesday night we stayed in Pittsburg. We stopped by Steel City Arts Foundation on our way out this morning, which is an incubator for comedians and artists sponsored by a favorite comedian of mine, Steve Hofstetter. Knowing better than to drop in unannounced on a bunch of comedians at 9 in the morning, we just took a photo by the mural and then hit the road.

05D6B74B-1FD3-44EA-9CBE-633EB8878FF9_1_105_c.jpeg

I can highly recommend The Brickhouse restaurant in Orwigsburg, PA. We ate dinner there two nights in a row and might have gone for a third if we were staying here another night. Amazing food and a great bar. We met the owner, Joe, who turned out to be an FCA member with an F430. So naturally we got up early this morning and swapped keys for a great drive in the rolling hills north of town.

DD960D17-E1AB-4565-850D-EBA76AF9E368_1_105_c.jpeg

We had a great run through Virginia and North Carolina with a couple of our Miata friends, including a run up and down Back of the Dragon. BOTD seems more aimed at bikers but it was a really fun, very twisty bit of road and nowhere near as crowded as Tail of the Dragon. If you ever find yourself nearby, I recommend making the time. (Photo credit: botdpix)

46FB354D-BF1D-42DE-B8E3-D1F73F885B9E_1_105_c.jpeg

F8C00297-6ABB-43FD-A8A1-BA976B41B7D7_1_105_c.jpeg

114177FA-FADD-4185-9889-FC9F80DF7CD1_1_105_c.jpeg

851FE7F4-570B-4B43-93D6-FCDBFA77108A_1_105_c.jpeg

After BOTD we aimed for Atlanta and stayed the night in Roswell up near the dealership. We showed up at Ferrari of Atlanta first thing on Monday morning as they opened. Thankfully everyone there was super helpful and happy to squeeze us in for an oil change without an appointment and they had us back on the road by 2pm. Vance and the whole crew were a treat to work with, and we got to gawk at the two F40s they have (one in the showroom, one in the workshop), a 288 GTO, and a '71 Dino (my personal favorite).

We caught a ride share downtown, saw cool fish and sharks at the Georgia Aquarium, ate hot dogs at The Varsity for lunch, and then got back to the dealer to pick up the car. Then a short drive on I-20 to Birmingham. We visited with friends in Birmingham and then pushed straight through for home from there, through New Orleans, Lake Charles, and Houston.

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip!

For relaying your route, have you looked at your location history in phone or GPS? I know Garmin will let you record a track as you go.

For relaying your route, have you looked at your location history in phone or GPS? I know Garmin will let you record a track as you go.

On Apple devices it looks like there's no API to pull a detailed track log (presumably for privacy purposes). From what I can tell, all the phone will expose is a heat map generated "frequented locations" like home and office and places you routinely visit. I think the Garmin GPX track seems like the most viable approach and I plan to experiment to see how viable that is for us. I'm hoping one of our old bike computers could pull it off, so we could just have it USB powered in the car and not have to worry about recharging and all that during the trip.

I think a Garmin watch will do it too.

There's a yellow 2021 F8 for sale on FerrariChat right now that only has 1,985 miles. It's the second owner selling it after only putting 700 miles on it himself. That's roughly 2 tanks of petrol. It's entirely possible he's only filled it up once.

I don't understand it. I don't understand it at all.

Oh, another cool thing. This showed up in the mail while we were gone. It's a little scale model of our car painted the right shade of green. Even the two-tone leather interior and daytona seats are accurate. Nice touch!

IMG_8168.jpeg

I bet this Ferrari, as one that's being used regularly, will run better at higher miles than some of the so-called "investment cars."

Cars are meant to be used.

I see cars and bikes as an investment in experiences - the vehicle itself will never be worth more, but I have so many great memories due to the vehicle I had at the time that it's worth the monetary hit.

Okay, so...Wawa or Sheetz?

- Team Wawa, admittedly