Ownership Verified: My 1990 Peugeot 205 XS

BWDgHAj.jpg

I do think there are situations where the 205 delivers more fun and thrills than the MX-5. I don't know if it's the feel of lightweight construction, the wackier controls, or the higher centre of gravity, but if you put on some generic radio rock n'roll and beat the car with a stick, it's waywardly hilarious. If the MX-5 is the kind of guy who plans a lovely weekend with places to go to, the 205 is some dude who wakes up on someones sofa and proceeds to dress himself on the way down the stairs.

I just screeched some tires listening to this:

CGSu5RF.jpg

Since the last time the car had had an oil change done was in Rijeka, Croatia, I drove to the local lube joint and had 25 euros' worth of TOTAL 5W-40 poured in and got charged 25 eur for the effort. And yeah, I also got a Bosch filter for it since the Croatian guy didn't change it. The last change was in Aug at 240 000 km, car is now at 244 300 km. Next service will be at 250k, I presume.

pIEr7gu.jpg

There's also a slight coolant leak from the clamp behind the engine, but I'll have that done when the shocks are addressed.

Last edited:
Drove the 205 for 300km and the MX-5 for 400km yesterday. I'm not quite sure the MX-5 is two times the car, if you compare the purchase prices. Compared to the MX-5, the 205 manages to be both a more hooligan-feeling car, yet more comfortable, as it has a better ride and better seats. Still, it's like it has a better sense of humour about its proceedings. The gearshift is immensely more wayward than the Mazda's snick-snick action, the steering isn't all there and yet the underdog charm works for it so well. The Mazda's suspension and seats are closer to the Swift Cabrio, and while driving the Mazda around is more of an event, there's something inherently serious about it even with the goofy face it carries.

Both cars can be justified perfectly, but the 205 isn't the disposable box on wheels it looks like, sitting next to the MX-5. It's these kinds of comparisons you can only really make after prolonged exposure to two initially different cars in sequence.

CIv0-z0W8AAx30J.jpg:large

Got the shock rubbers instead of the shock absorbers, looks like I'll be driving the shocks to the ground first and considering suspension parts for the front and rear later on...

Taking that nut off looks like a fun job.

Yeah totally, it probably needs a torch for it.

Prophetic words... :lol:

The bolt is very stuck, and not even getting it red hot would free it. The garage will have to cut it, and according to them it's a bit dodgy to just replace it with an off-the-shelf bolt that wouldn't be as supar strong. Anyway, the Peugeot dealer across the road could source me new OEM bolts and they will be here tomorrow. Then it'll all be put back together and re-checked at the MOT station, which is nice as the month's re-check time will run out tomorrow.

The handiest thing is that I took it to the cheapest garage in town, which is next to the MOT station, which is next to the Peugeot dealer. Least hassle.

Prophetic words... :lol:

The bolt is very stuck, and not even getting it red hot would free it. The garage will have to cut it, and according to them it's a bit dodgy to just replace it with an off-the-shelf bolt that wouldn't be as supar strong. Anyway, the Peugeot dealer across the road could source me new OEM bolts and they will be here tomorrow. Then it'll all be put back together and re-checked at the MOT station, which is nice as the month's re-check time will run out tomorrow.

The handiest thing is that I took it to the cheapest garage in town, which is next to the MOT station, which is next to the Peugeot dealer. Least hassle.

.. Yeah, right.. :rolleyes: You could never even break the "Tarjoustalo" -spec 8.8 grade bolts that all the shops in Finland carry in the suspension of such a light car. Also you can just go to any bolt store (or Etola/Etra or similiar) and buy 12.9 grade bolts which will be as strong as you could ever need even in a rally car.. Cost? Maybe 1? a piece. Also I don't believe they can't get the bolt off.. Oil, rattle gun and heat will eventually get to it, or if not, you could use a nut breaker on it so you wouldn't have to cut the bolt.

..How much are they charging you again?

Probably 60 an hour, tops. Another reason why I'd otherwise wait for the schools to start again, but the thing is running out of MOT.

Probably 60 an hour, tops. Another reason why I'd otherwise wait for the schools to start again, but the thing is running out of MOT.

Or you could.. ..just ..do it yourself?

Let me just jack it up in my parking spot in drizzling rain and gently tap it with a tire iron. That's the extent of facilities, tools and general expertise on replacing that mount and bolt that I'll have right now, especially since it will have to sail through MOT tomorrow.

99% of whatever I end up paying is for not having to do it myself. The rest is probably parts.

Let me just jack it up in my parking spot in drizzling rain and gently tap it with a tire iron. That's the extent of facilities, tools and general expertise on replacing that mount and bolt that I'll have right now, especially since it will have to sail through MOT tomorrow.

99% of whatever I end up paying is for not having to do it myself. The rest is probably parts.

Some of us rebuild entire cars outside ;)

I know. Reading the recent Whatsapp convo on someone else's brake work I'm just really .. comfortable.

In any case, there's the Pain in the Ass / Hurry scale. Anything that's not a major hassle (o7) and can be done in a weekend, like an oil change is fine by me. This bolt is janky enough for me not to even consider tackling.

I would probably be interested in doing the coolant on this, but it's tricky to bleed because of the way the cooling is set up. The radiator is not the highest point afaik.

tXi11RF.jpg

66 eur later and having paid 15 eur for the re-show, we're good to go until the next inspection occasion.

f9VArVq.jpg

Or perhaps should I attempt a trade?

is it a Talbot Horizon in one of the pictures?