Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

^ You'd be surprised.
When I was in Germany a few summers ago, I was talking to the receptionist at my hotel (just started a convo after I noticed he had a W203 C32 AMG), and the topic of fake Ms and AMGs came up. He told me that people that initially can't afford an M or AMG will buy a regular spec car, and then over the course of a couple years mod it up to look like the proper car. People will spend more money over the course of a few years to get their 335s to cosmetically look identical to M3s than if they had waited and bought an M3 straight up. Only once the car cosmetically looks identical to the real thing will they start worrying about performance.

He told me of his friend who bought a E46 328 coupe for ?6000, and then spent ?35000 over the course of 4 years to make it look like an M3. Left the engine/suspension stock. I just looked on ebay.de, and you can get an E46 M3 for ?20000.

sadly this is true. I do not understand these people who go for looks over performance, but that's just me...
I'd do the exact opposite, get an M car, remove all the badges, put regular wheels on, quieter a exhaust on it and make it a sleeper

(perhaps a 318d badge to make it even more funneh at the lights)

sadly this is true. I do not understand these people who go for looks over performance, but that's just me...
I'd do the exact opposite, get an M car, remove all the badges, put regular wheels on, quieter a exhaust on it and make it a sleeper

(perhaps a 318d badge to make it even more funneh at the lights)

Or you could just get a Volvo V70R :p Or even better, an 850R

Last edited:
It's been 8 hours, but my Interceptor's new (junkyard) fuel tank is no longer full of rust.

:D

Checked out a 96 000 km Honda Civic '88. It was rusty, reeked of smoking and had no log book in the glove box. Who'da thunk?

It did have the 1.6 16-valve engine which could've propelled the 950kg car quite nicely, but since it was no pearl, I didn't feel like taking it for a spin. 1700 eur, with rust I wouldn't want to pay that.

Pwnage:

500x_full_audi_bmw_ad.jpg

Funny thing is I've been on test drives from that Audi dealership, and have always wondered why there is no advertising on that massive wall.

Last edited:
Can someone help me out, I'm looking for the wiring schematic for the air conditioning unit for a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, if you need any more information let me know.

Last edited:

The same reason some people buy guitars with a sunburst finish and flamed maple top, rather than a plain one-color paintjob. The same reason cars come in more than one color.

I don't believe this has been posted on the forum:

[video]http://vimeo.com/groups/1555/videos/10767556[/video]

In other news...

Today in front of the administration building of my university:
25727_404514972552_506697552_4613081_4114055_n.jpg

One less Shadow on the roads...

Last edited:
Was replacing my catalytic converter today with a new MagnaFlow "direct fit" unit. However it was very far from direct fit, but thats a different story. Anyway, I took a look inside of the old one and this is what I found...

Entrance...

P1270150.jpg

Exit...

P1270149.jpg

I'm wondering why I really don't see many M6s on the roads here in Melbourne. I've only seen 1 black coupe in my area, and thats it.

In fact, I don't even see many of the more mundane 6-series coupes.

I'm wondering why I really don't see many M6s on the roads here in Melbourne. I've only seen 1 black coupe in my area, and thats it.

Really? Last time I was in Melbourne I saw 3 M6's in one day. And they were M6s, not just humdrum 6-series'. Although that was right in the CBD. Last time I was in the Sydney CBD the most popular non-taxi car was the Mercedes CLK. I swear every 4th or 5th car was one of those, it was unbelievable how many there were. Where I live, one day last year I saw around 30 new Mondeos in a row, all varying trim levels. Each one had 3 or 4 people in them, all wearing pastel green shirts. It was nearly a never ending trail of them along my 2.5km walk home, and they kept going once I was home. It was one of the most confusing things I have ever seen.

probably because they're real ugly. my uncle has one (645Ci); it's alright, but the terrible iDrive and looks ruin it for me.

Doing something I thought I'd never do. No, not shopping for a minivan; I'm looking at buying a giant diesel pickup truck - because it makes enormous monetary and ecological sense to buy one now. No, seriously. (+rep to the first person to figure out why to both, and I'll even give you one hint free - it's not because of the 'carbon is evil' idiocy)

(Oh, and if anyone was wondering where I was this weekend, I was working on lots of projects and trying to clear the decks before it gets really hot around here.)

Last edited:
Doing something I thought I'd never do. No, not shopping for a minivan; I'm looking at buying a giant diesel pickup truck - because it makes enormous monetary and ecological sense to buy one now. No, seriously. (+rep to the first person to figure out why to both, and I'll even give you one hint free - it's not because of the 'carbon is evil' idiocy)

Someone next door bought a diesel with a defective gas lid?

You live in Texas, and the market is flooded with F-350's which people can no longer afford to operate (and have traded in on F-150's) therefore making them cheap as dirt. Ecologically, you've come into possession of a certain XJ220 and need a toy hauler to keep it (and the many tons of restoration equipment in the trailer with it) on the move frequently so it can't be detected by the authorities and crushed. You're trying to protect an endangered species!

Last edited:
Gonna run it on some kind of used vegetable oil?

Got it in one. +rep awarded.

I have a source for at least ~40 gallons of good, high quality used vegetable oil per week. I also find that I am needing a truck more and more (borrowing someone's truck is nice, but sometimes you have to rent one and that gets expensive in a hurry), and may soon be needing a truck for at least one if not multiple transcontinental runs to help my parents move. Plus I have a couple of business opportunities being presented to me that pretty much require me to have a truck to tow or haul on a regular basis.

Combine all the above factors (free fuel a diesel can burn, the multiple needs for a larger truck that can do some serious towing/hauling) and the purchase of a large diesel makes a lot of sense.

The free fuel has a lot to do with it. Since my vehicle candidate can get 20mpg if driven properly, that will massively drop my fuel costs even if I have to run it on petro-diesel occasionally.

You live in Texas, and the market is flooded with F-350's which people can no longer afford to operate (and have traded in on F-150's) therefore making them cheap as dirt. Ecologically, you've come into possession of a certain XJ220 and need a toy hauler to keep it (and the many tons of restoration equipment in the trailer with it) on the move frequently so it can't be detected by the authorities and crushed. You're trying to protect an endangered species!

Heh. Unfortunately, no.

What I'm looking at are 99-02 F-250s and F-350s with the 7.3L PowerStroke/International diesel engine. Don't want a DRW/dually configuration, but I'm thinking extended or crew cab in 4x4. Haven't decided on bed length yet; am also undecided on whether I should go with the automatic or manual (manual trucks have a higher state of tune, but the gearbox is like stirring coal).

Last edited: