TopGear.com Makes Video Clips UK Only

Good news, I've found a fix (at least a temporary fix until they fix it) to get the video clips working

Simply create a bookmark to (yes that isn't an url in there, it's javascript code)

Code:
javascript:(function(){eval($('#mainContent%20.feature%20script').html().replace('config\.playerId','//').replace('config\.adServerURL','//'));})();;

click on the bookmark when you're on the video page and it's telling you that the video is uk only and the video loads :D.

btw. this also fixes issues when you've an adblocker enabled and the page tells you that you either have javascript disabled or an old version of the flash player).

Hi, JLM's other half here (still half asleep though, but I will try to make sense). If you go to a video that won't play, you can just copy the "fix", and paste it into the address bar (with the video page still up) and it should work. IE:

1. Highlight, right click and copy the above code
2. click on a video link, and wait for it to open and display error
3. right click in address bar, paste copied code and hit enter
4. video should start playing.

You could save the code line in notepad or as a word doc or something if you don't want to find this thread every time.

Cheers,
Ian.

To the anonymous twunt who neg-repped me with the comment "there is a difference between watching un-aired outtakes from a show and a full game"

No there bloody well isn't. Content is content is content and it is up to the publishers to do with it as they like within the rights they have. The restrictions aren't magically lifted just because it didn't go out on a Sunday night between 8pm and 9pm.

Hi, JLM's other half here (still half asleep though, but I will try to make sense). If you go to a video that won't play, you can just copy the "fix", and paste it into the address bar (with the video page still up) and it should work. IE:

1. Highlight, right click and copy the above code
2. click on a video link, and wait for it to open and display error
3. right click in address bar, paste copied code and hit enter
4. video should start playing.

You could save the code line in notepad or as a word doc or something if you don't want to find this thread every time.

Cheers,
Ian.
Hmm yes, but what's the matter with Woodoo's way.. A bit simpler don't you think?

Because the content is licenced for the UK only.

Quite funny reading this thread because I had exactly the same moan when I wanted to watch the Bruins/Hurricanes game on Saturday via NHL.com. In the UK, I'm a "restricted territory". And was willing to pay pound quids for it.

You can't blame TG. You can't blame the BBC. You can blame the thousands of lawyers who invented the concept of regional and restrictive licencing. This wasn't a problem prior to the internet (ah, for the halcyon days of the 1980s when the most popular US programmes were broadcast almost a year later in the UK) but now it is a complete minefield. And to avoid having the arse sued off them, or have every penny extracted from them, people just go for the shortest, easiest solution.

TBH, I'm of the opinion that this place is quite lucky that the producers turn a blind eye to the torrenting and FTP talk. Certainly it doesn't work the other way round with a number of US shows.

I understand why they have done this, and it really is the best solution. I'd rather they restrict this stuff, than try to close down the torrent distribution.

I'm very happy they're turning a blind eye to torrents, and if they can get away if it, why shouldn't they? :) They don't lose money per se, since we can't pay for it even if we wanted to. I bet the producers just want to have as many people watching the show as possible. They get payed the same regardless :)

In fact, i was always quite surprised that we were able to watch the outtakes. Guess we were lucky to have it for as long as we did :)

Hmm yes, but what's the matter with Woodoo's way.. A bit simpler don't you think?

Maybe it is, but if you can't figure out how to do it WooDoo's way, having an alternative way to do it is nice, don't you think?

In fact, i was always quite surprised that we were able to watch the outtakes. Guess we were lucky to have it for as long as we did :)

I was surprised we could ever watch them too.

Not sure if this has been said before but search didn't reveal anything important.

I go to topgear.com for the video section and try to watch the Alfa challenge part 1 and i get the segment about the Veyron being maxed by May. Not a bad watch but why such a big screw up?

BTW I watched it from Romania without any hacks.

Part 2 of the alfa challenge loads fine and properly.

Try it out here.

And a screenshot:

http://img102.imageshack.**/img102/4388/veyronalfasbq3.jpg

I have been looking around for a way to view CBeeBies programs for my daughter who is missing them badly. I am not that pc savvy. But I can follow directions. I am using firefox 3.6 and tried to follow the instructions various others posted regarding making the script work. However, I am unable to at this moment to make it work. Would you look kindly on a lost soul and do a step by step. It would be greatly appreciated. In case I am missing a step.

Here is what I have tried.

1.Right click on one of my current bookmarks.
2. Goto properties
3. copy paste the script exactly as printed in the box
into the location box.
4. Rename the bookmark to something like Workaround
5. close.
6. Goto http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mcmg. It says video wont load out of UK
7. click on the bookmark with the script.
8 No joy!

Also tried copying the script into the address bar and still doesnt work.

Can you help? We will be greatly thankful if you could offer advice.

Thank you

I know this is dragging up an old thread but is it just me or have the Top Gear videos been made available for all to watch again? I seem to be able to watch everything on the site without having to use the patch:?

Also I have been asked if this patch will work on other BCC sites which it doesn't appear too (I assume the patch was written specifically for the Top Gear site) Is this assumption correct?

Cheers
JLM

JLM, check whether you are viewing topgear.com/uk/ or the new topgear.com/au/ because if you are looking at the new Aussie topgear.com, that would be why you can see the videos.

I have been looking around for a way to view CBeeBies programs for my daughter who is missing them badly. I am not that pc savvy. But I can follow directions. I am using firefox 3.6 and tried to follow the instructions various others posted regarding making the script work. However, I am unable to at this moment to make it work. Would you look kindly on a lost soul and do a step by step. It would be greatly appreciated. In case I am missing a step.

Here is what I have tried.

1.Right click on one of my current bookmarks.
2. Goto properties
3. copy paste the script exactly as printed in the box
into the location box.
4. Rename the bookmark to something like Workaround
5. close.
6. Goto http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mcmg. It says video wont load out of UK
7. click on the bookmark with the script.
8 No joy!

Also tried copying the script into the address bar and still doesnt work.

Can you help? We will be greatly thankful if you could offer advice.

Thank you

The work around only works with the top gear videos on the topgear.com website. Sorry.

I don't think the workaround work anymore.

Indeed, it doesnt, and my JavaScript abilities are _way_ too limited to find out why.

:cry:

Woodoo's other solution, this one I mean, doesn't work either anymore.

*Hopes Woodoo will be able to sort this one out* :(

Last edited:
Trollbooth, you're my new best friend.:D

I live in Ireland and I have the same problem with the UK TopGear site.
But I just went to www.topgear.com/au/ the Australian TopGear website which I can see is no different and the videos were working fine with do restrictsions.

I live in Ireland and I have the same problem with the UK TopGear site.
But I just went to www.topgear.com/au/ the Australian TopGear website which I can see is no different and the videos were working fine with do restrictsions.

True, but I think there are a few more vids available on the UK site...

Still, it's nice to have the option for both :D

Trolbooth: you are a genius! :clap: