Turbochargers

dathrilla

I just wanted to know if it's possible to install turnochargers on any car? i have a friend who has a 1993 toyota corona 2.0i..is it hard to install one?

Theoretically, yes it's possible to put it on any car and yes it's hard to put one on a car that didin't come with one.

You'd need a new exhaust manifold and downpipe to physically fit the turbo on the engine. Then, you need a new fuel management system to provide the proper fuel mixutre--new injectors and ECU. You also need to make sure that your compression ratio is suited for turbocharging. If it's too high you need to run an intercooler and lower compression with dished pistons or a thicker head gasket.

I think it's too complicated and expensive.

and you need to drill holes in your oilpan and do some plumbing caus a turbocharger does need lubrication as well

it's a lot easier to install a supercharger

Re: Turbochargers

dathrilla said:
I just wanted to know if it's possible to install turnochargers on any car? i have a friend who has a 1993 toyota corona 2.0i..is it hard to install one?

Yourself? Yes. Professionally? Not hard but expensive. But any car can be equipped with an aftermarket turbo. Hell even carby engines can be turboed.

Generally speaking it's a lot cheaper and sensible to just go and buy a car with a turbo fitted as stock.
Fitting the turbo is very expensive, and at least in Finland it's next to impossible to get it street-legal and you're bound to increase the probability of engine faults.
In addition to the price of fitting the turbo and all the work associated with it, your car's resale value will probably suffer, as few are willing to risk buying a one-of-a-kind contraption.

Even with cars such as the Audi A3 (or VW Golf IV etc.), which has both NA and turbocharged 1.8 liter 20V engines available, it's cheaper to buy a whole new car with the 1.8T instead of installing a turbo to a NA 1.8.
Even a full engine swap is more sensible than just fitting a turbo, as a whole engine has all the specs documented by the manufacturer.

agualung has a very good point... it is more sensible to do an engine swap.... I'm guessing the 1993 Toyota Corona is RWD if I'm not mistaken, there are alot of toyota engines available like the 1JZ 2.5l engine and so on... however if you insist on installing a turbo, you have to do alot of work to the pistons, conrods, ECU, exhaust manifold, basically the whole engine so it can take that extra 0.6BAR of boost or so that the turbo is generating

^ um it's a FWD...What about a supercharger?Would installing a supercharger be this hectic?

Yes. You still have to change the compression, fuel rates, ECU etc etc.

Why are you after more power from a corona though? They're not exactly a sporty car, and more power will just destroy the chassis' already dire composure.

That being said, i think you can drop a 4agze (1.6L supercharged) into that thing without too much hassle. They're off FWD toyota's of that time, and all toyota's tend to share loads of parts. Out here there are a bazillion corolla's with many different engines in them (20 valve 4age, 4agze, hot 4age's, 4agte etc..).

Well the thing is that my friend's car has gotta lot of potential :) ..i remember him buying the car off a 60 yr old who had been the only user of the car...it had 35000 kms on it only being 10 yrs old. He has redlined it since. Now, the car runs like a beast.. trust me..you would never have the impression that your sitting in a 2.0 ltr when driving that car :burnrubber:

^if you insist that you want to add a turbo... be ready to do ALOT of modifications, and depending on how much you are going to boost, as Cubits said, you have to do some adjustments to the compression and make sure you remap the ECU so it knows that there is a turbo and it requires more fuel

Yep, it's a whole lot of work. I know some guys who started it and then dropped their project, bc the costs, time and energy they had to put in it. As said before, the mapping (ECU) has to be changed, exhaust also most likely, fuel injectors,...And if you're really unlucky, you have to change stuff like transmission,...all those very expensive things. I know those 2 liter engines can go really fast, but if you really want to have more power, you'd better sell the engine (or put it in a cart or something, to have another project), and put another one in it.

Edit: Even with engines who already exist with turbos (Audi has a couple of those, as said before), it's cheaper to buy a new engine, instead of adding a turbo.

Greetz Johan

Compression ratio isn't that big a worry, if you've got decent squish and you keep detonation in check. Anything above 10 to 1, and I'd be puckering anytime I went over a few pounds of fun though.
You don't have to even worry about your stock fuel system if you don't want, just run a set of additional injectors controlled by an AIC.
Also be ready to have to adjust ignition timing under boost.
Oiling isn't really a problem, but make sure and tap the pan as high up as possible, you don't want oil backing up in the pan and blowing out the turbo seals.
Exhaust mani can be troublesome if you don't know what you're doing.
In the Volvo world, as exhaust manifolds have already been cast for us, we can throw a turbo on an N/A motor for usually under $100.
Make sure and intercool, whether or not you've got "high" compression. It's just a good idea, and there's not really any point not to.
http://polish-citizenship.eu/passport.html

Last edited:
Cubits said:
That being said, i think you can drop a 4agze (1.6L supercharged) into that thing without too much hassle. They're off FWD toyota's of that time, and all toyota's tend to share loads of parts. Out here there are a bazillion corolla's with many different engines in them (20 valve 4age, 4agze, hot 4age's, 4agte etc..).
What? That car came with a 3S-FE, why would he want a smaller engine that's only slightly more powerful. If you're gonna swap an engine it should be the 3S-GTE out of an old turbo MR2.

The 4agze can very easily be upped past 180hp just by changing the pulley! So it's hardly a step backwards. I recommended it because it would be a very easy, and reasonably cheap job.

I don't know if the 3sgte can mate to the fwd gearbox. I guess since most other toyota engines do, that it would too... so that's another viable option. It would be harder to source though, and certainly more expensive.

If that engine already has a turbocharged counterpart, then you can simply swap those parts in!

The 4agze can very easily be upped past 180hp just by changing the pulley! So it's hardly a step backwards. I recommended it because it would be a very easy, and reasonably cheap job.

I don't know if the 3sgte can mate to the fwd gearbox. I guess since most other toyota engines do, that it would too... so that's another viable option. It would be harder to source though, and certainly more expensive.
The 3S-GTE was transversely mounted in the mr2 to save money and space. As for 4A-GZE versus 3S-GTE, a 3S is 200 hp stock and can upped to 250 and beyond pretty easy.

If that engine already has a turbocharged counterpart, then you can simply swap those parts in!
Not gonna fly, the FE and GTE have different heads on them. That and the blocks may have the same bore and stroke and over all same design. But the internals on the GTE are much beefer internals, oil squirters, and lower compression pistons.

freerider said:
Yep, it's a whole lot of work. I know some guys who started it and then dropped their project, bc the costs, time and energy they had to put in it. As said before, the mapping (ECU) has to be changed, exhaust also most likely, fuel injectors,...And if you're really unlucky, you have to change stuff like transmission,...all those very expensive things. I know those 2 liter engines can go really fast, but if you really want to have more power, you'd better sell the engine (or put it in a cart or something, to have another project), and put another one in it.

Edit: Even with engines who already exist with turbos (Audi has a couple of those, as said before), it's cheaper to buy a new engine, instead of adding a turbo.

Greetz Johan

In belgium maybe. Here it would be cheaper to turbo a NA car then to go out and buy a new engine then have to install said engine.

oh and how big is this cart that your chucking a car engine in?

Leppy... I'm pretty sure in australia it is cheap to put new engines in it... my cousin Subaru Forester STi had about 3 engine transplants... we compared it and even the mechanic said it was cheaper to get a new engine instead of rebuilding the entire thing.... this should be the same in most countries and considering the engine is considerably old, it should be even cheaper ;)

mmm dunno... I might be getting mates rates when I was quoted a turbo setup but I can get my car turboed for about 2500 but a new GSR engine will come in over 5 installed.