Youtube video better quality than scene rip of TG?

Some people on a russian torrent site upload different versions of Top Gear including the source vid which weights about 2GB for people who want to make their own rip. And what amazes me is that they are actually faster than FG. o_O
Because they're releasing a .ts file probably. There's no encoding involved.

I also have to retorrent it, add it to the website, etc. RiVER put 13x03 out in under 3 minutes, but it took me another 15 to download it, torrent it, add it to the website, give it to the other various seedboxes so it wouldn't be slow for you, etc.

Stop being ungrateful.

RiVER put 13x03 out in under 3 minutes

OT, but how do they manage that? Do they rip & encode it in sections, so there's encoding of earlier segments happening while the show is still airing, and then just merge the files?

OT, but how do they manage that? Do they rip & encode it in sections, so there's encoding of earlier segments happening while the show is still airing, and then just merge the files?
Yep, exactly.

If anyone is interested, this is what the guy who posted the vid on youtube had to say about the rip :

"Its taken from an off air digital transmission, directly to hard disk, no analogue stages....

Its then upscaled to 720p and div-x encoded."

Like I said, better quality.

Sadly, i have to spread some +rep before giving it to IceBone again, but that's my point, exactely.

You can burn them in their regular AVI format. (I can, anyway.) Recently I've had to do some over because the audio and video can go out of sync sometimes. For the eps where that's happened, I convert to either MPEG or DivX. They still look great.

Yes, on DVDs. (I don't own an external/portable hard drive right now, so I have little choice. And even if I did own one, I'd still back them up on DVD, just in case.)

I download the episodes to my laptop (I can get them faster on that than on my main desktop), make a data DVD, then put the eps on my main desktop so I can make DVDs from them to watch on ye olde telly.

Just buy a divx compatible dvd player and you won't have to re-encode them to dvd at all. You could watch your data dvd with the avi files on your tv and you'd have no sync issues at all

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
You can get some good ones for under $100

I can usually put 6 or 7 top gear eps on a single data dvd and watch it all night on my tv. Old shows that were capped at 350 mb = 14 hours of viewing!

I have a DivX-compatible player already. I shall have to try that. (The only thing I'll miss, methinks, is chaptering.)

Some people on a russian torrent site upload different versions of Top Gear including the source vid which weights about 2GB for people who want to make their own rip. And what amazes me is that they are actually faster than FG. o_O

I would be really grateful if someone could please point me in the direction of one of these source rips (.ts) via pm or something. Be great to see the difference in quality. Either that or a high quality x264 would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Whenever a video encoding process is involved with the file size limit, which is the step must be done by the Scene Group, you cannot ask for more about picture quality. Like encode with AutoGK, all we can do is to sacrifice some of the audio quality, and gain some video bitrate advantage.

Last week I had gone through one of the x264 rips from other website. It was encoded with 720x576 in16:9 ratio, with around 1900kbps. It is clear I have to say, however, the x264 codec are still having less advantage, comparing with the Xvid codec. With Xvid codec, you can access on all media players(like WD TV for instance) , DVD players with a chip competitable with Divx/Xvid Codecs, also, the divx/Xvid codecs are having less CPU usage comparing the h264 codec, and it is still looks great comparing with the original PDTV .ts file. Cause high bitrate for h264 codec may cause a heavy load towards computers who doesn't have a graphic card with h264 acceleration function.

As I knew that nowadays DVD players comes up with a HDMI interface should bring you with Upscale function, I just want to know whether the upscale function applies to media files playback?

I have a DivX-compatible player already. I shall have to try that. (The only thing I'll miss, methinks, is chaptering.)

When I press the chapter button on my remote the avi jumps forward about 6 minutes.
I've got a Philips dvp 642 and a Samsung dvd-r 157. I only use the Philips to play pal dvds now, it's too picky about how the xvid is encoded. The Samsung plays about 99% of what I throw at it.
I want one of these:
http://www.world-import.com/dvr-340h.htm

I would be really grateful if someone could please point me in the direction of one of these source rips (.ts) via pm or something. Be great to see the difference in quality. Either that or a high quality x264 would be much appreciated.

I'm uploading episode 1 of this current series (13) in program stream format to one of the FTPs provided by our epic user base.

There's plenty of excellent torrents of recodes around you can compare it with.