Starfield

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
To my surprise, it seems like Bethesda managed to release a game that wasn't completely broken at launch. I think that's worth talking about.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfYEiTdsyas
I wasn't planning to play this for at least a month, until at least some of the bugs were ironed out. To my surprise, the combination of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation review and one by another guy I watch called Nerbit basically told me that it isn't unplayable on launch and I decided to give it a go.

It's only fairly recently that I got the Fallout 4 DLCs on the cheap and played through those, so I'm in the mood for a bit of Bethesda action and my old pal Phil McCraken has only been in hiding for a few weeks. He's aged a bit, put on a few pounds and lost his pirate hat. I chose Dream Home and Introvert so he can shout at kids to get off his damn lawn.*

1694801133563.png

So far I've not progressed the main story any more than I need to, I've been doing side quests and generally picking fights where I don't need to. Always with higher level enemies, thankfully I've picked up some decent weapons and the shooting mechanic is pretty good. As an avid V.A.T.S. fan it would be nice to have that though.

Anyone else playing along with half of the gaming community?

*There's no lawn.

Glad I'm not the only one who just piles stuff up. :LOL:

I just completed the mission to break into the Mantis lair and steal his shit while I was at level 7/8, pretty sure I wasn't supposed to do that.

I don't have money to buy new ships yet, and I don't want to clutter up the cargo hold, so for now I'll have to throw everything on the floor.

Finished the Freestar Collective quest line, now I have the Star Eagle. It's got a much bigger cargo hold.
XZnmZD.png

I've been getting on pretty well with the Razorleaf, the cargo hold isn't any bigger than the Frontier though. That looks like Akila, I went there for the first time today.

Starfield 16_09_2023 19_39_17.jpg

I found this in a starport, why are there benches in the toilets? I wouldn't want an audience while space pooping.
Starfield 16_09_2023 18_11_46.jpg

You can accidentally lob grenades in trash cans.

I tried the ship builder, wow that's a steaming turd at the moment. My ship was apparently flying around on the grid, which disappeared at one point. I put some modules aside and because the ship 'moved' they got left behind and I got errors about unattached modules.

None of it is very intuitive either, some weapons just don't go on certain mount points but it's hard to tell if that's the case or if the editor is just being janky.

Last edited:
Both the ship builder and outpost builder sucks right now. Wait for mods I guess.

I did finally work it out and was able to add extra cargo to my Razorleaf, along with improving the cannons, missiles, reactor and shields. That whole shifting the plane up and down is so shit, honestly LEGO Creator had better 3D editing in the late 1990s. I had the credits spare as I paid off the 125K house a while ago, mostly from selling contraband. Naughty Mantis.

Starfield 19_09_2023 20_25_10 copy.jpg

I'm just shy of level 15 now and finding some of the bounty missions really easy. My modified Grendel and Maelstrom cut through people more quickly than they can fire back. Just for fun I went berserk in Cydonia, I managed to kill all of the robots and security with only a handful of med packs. I did see something interesting in one of the underground hangars though.

Starfield 19_09_2023 20_07_03 copy.jpg

I'm also really impressed with the level of detail you get when looking down into these from above.
Starfield 19_09_2023 20_14_53 copy.jpg

I've been collecting knick-knacks from my visits to places. Organising them in my house was going well, until...
Starfield 21_09_2023 14_11_25 copy.jpg

Stupid space cat.
Starfield 22_09_2023 19_39_33 copy.jpg

Found my way onto the top pad of the New Atlantis port, got in a ship that landed with the intention of stealing it but couldn't. It took off with my inside and I clipped through the door.
Starfield 24_09_2023 00_19_20 copy.jpg

Balls. I just lost all my progress.

I got glitched out and no amount of reverting to saves would fix it. Tech support was useless and then all my saves but one was lost. I ended up stranded, unable to fast travel, my ship flew off without me, and I got stuck as my character seeing the ship's HUD.

So I'm back to Level 1. 🫤

Edit: Apparently I'm not alone.

Last edited:

I got glitched out and no amount of reverting to saves would fix it. Tech support was useless and then all my saves but one was lost. I ended up stranded, unable to fast travel, my ship flew off without me, and I got stuck as my character seeing the ship's HUD.

I saw that on Reddit the other day, someone posted a video of it. Really strange glitch, very Bethesda. Not sure if it'll help but I might start backing up my saves manually. I'm playing on PC Game Pass.

Double post. I got back up to the top level at the New Atlantis port, this time I remembered that the photo mode is a thing. This ship was there again, the same one I fell out of. I still couldn't steal it but I could at least steal another med pack.

Photo_2023-09-25-235812 copy.jpg

Take off!
Photo_2023-09-26-000206 copy.jpg

My modified Razorleaf
Photo_2023-09-25-235825 copy.jpg

OK so with that over I kind of feel like I've broken the game. I'm at level 22 without doing any of the main quests. I've almost fully modified my weapons, the AA-99 with explosive rounds is a masterpiece and it makes picking off even high level enemies at range a complete piece of cake. I'll admit it's fun, the same way playing Deathloop with explosive rounds is.

I've done lots of missions killing enemy ships and not once have I come close to having my ship destroyed. Being the Mantis most of the spacer or pirate ships I encounter when jumping in to a system surrender and either jump out or turn neutral.

I've made so many credits from the missions and the loot that I've just bought the Shieldbuster, even though I can't fly it yet. Working on that.

Damn that sucks. Maybe you can console command your way out of it?

I also encountered a quest breaking bug, I was doing the Crimson Fleet quest line and I got stuck on one of the quest objective where even after installing the necessary parts on my ship, the quest objective won't advance. Hopefully someone will figure out what console command to use to check off quest objectives as completed so I can advance that quest.

Edit: I did another quest and reinstalled the ComSpike and the Conduction Grid, it kinda worked.
The UC SysDef was mad at me, so I ended up siding with the Crimson Fleet. The part where you have to get out of the Legacy as it blows up and the assault on the UD Vigilance was pretty awesome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5J7mn8mjFA

Last edited:
Just a few more things I've come across.

A friendly note
Starfield 27_09_2023 12_57_19.jpg

Arc welder stuck inside a weapon crate
Photo_2023-09-27-122924_S1920.jpg

The little robot houses became invisible
Photo_2023-09-27-232150_S1920.jpg

I've purchased the Shieldbreaker ship and wow it's good. I've also got hold of the Breach which is a brilliant gun alongside the AA-99, I don't see the need to use anything other than these two.

Found my first terramorph the other day, in Safe House Gamma. There's a bit of a lead up to it. I had just completed a mission to destroy a ship in orbit around the planet and saw an abandoned hangar on the map, so I went down to investigate. Once I landed and got off the ship, I immediately got distracted by another ship landing in the distance. I ran over to it (narrowly avoiding the hostile wildlife) and it was Pik Up, a ship that you can apparently buy. Naturally, I stole it and went back up into orbit.

I then noticed other markers on the map, including the one for Safe House Gamma. I didn't know about the place so went in blind, but I had a good idea about what was going to happen. Surprisingly, after turning off the machine at the end nothing happened until I entered the cave and faced the terramorph, which is when I realised that my guns did almost nothing to it and I ran off. Once I got outside, there was another creature that chased me almost all the way back to the ship. I could outrun it but I'm not sure how quickly I was getting away.

Last night I found the ECS Constant and did the missions to equip it with a Grav drive. I've been back since and completed a couple more side-missions, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes. I also did the monster mission on Titan.

After gaining the activity at some point, I finally went to Vulture's Roost at Level 31 and picked up the Dagger ship. Honestly it was very easy using my Advanced AA-99 with explosive rounds. I also got a load of lovely loot:

1696724043799.png

One thing is annoying me though. Why do I keep finding the magazines even though they don't stack? Was it really so hard for the devs to code it so a magazine doesn't appear again?

Anyway I finally started doing the Constellation missions, at this level they're quite easy and I'm pretty familiar with the layout of the different labs and mines. Got a good picture of the top of my Shieldbreaker.

Starfield 07_10_2023 21_57_12 copy_S1920.jpg

Starfield 07_10_2023 21_57_31 copy_S1920.jpg

6aJMBe.png
i6iBpL.png

SfnQn6i2.png

Last edited: