Why didn't they call this show "Top Gear"?

NBC is on channel 3 here, maybe they should've called it 3rd Gear. j/k

What about HDTV? Then it would be 803rd Gear or something.

"Gear" is much better... requires less brain function. This is very important since most viewers will probably be watching inbetween doing burnouts.

[ Edit (rep.): "You're a proper fuckwit. I'm staggerd to imagine how you ever learned human speech." - Blind_Io ]

Staggered. + poor verb usage... Better luck next time Blind_Io.

Also I would like to apologize. I didn't mean to offend with this post... I was honestly joking. I guess my "written" comedy doesn?t work as well as I thought. What works in some places doesn't work in others. I have nothing but my own poor judgement to blame.

Last edited:
"Gear" is much better... requires less brain function. This is very important since most viewers will probably be watching inbetween doing burnouts.

I'm getting tired of your trolling. Next one will result in a ban. You've been warned.

Oh, i'm sure we'll find someone. I get my share of neg reps every once in a while, when i let my inner troll out. :p

If they're gonna make something new, why did they then ask for rights?

I am picturing a group of 24 NBC execs at the GE building in Mahnattan having a 2 day meeting deciding how to come up with a better adjective than "top" in their "Top Gear" meeting.

Ultra Gear?
Maximum Gear?
Super Gear?
Xtreme Gear?

After two days someone suggested _ Gear. And then they moved on to the next topic, picking a Mustang to be KITT in the new Knight Rider.

Last edited:
So much trolling that I just skimmed, didn't see a decent response so I'll bite.

It's not called Top Gear, likely because BBC America already shows a show called Top Gear, and discovery channel ran the show before that.

The good news to that line of thinking is, they intend to continue to show newer seasons/series of the UK version here in the US :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just delusional, but i'm still excited about the show. I mean it might not be as good as TopGear, but I can't imagine it being worse then any of the recently made (as in last 15 years) American car shows.

Maybe I'm just delusional, but i'm still excited about the show. I mean it might not be as good as TopGear, but I can't imagine it being worse then any of the recently made (as in last 15 years) American car shows.
Nope, I'm in the same boat. It won't be anywhere as good as Top Gear, but that doesn't mean it will be bad.

HDTV is broadcast between analog channels; it would require some sort of a transmission failure to select two gears at once. :lol:
No it's not. It's merely named that to avoid confusing.

For example, we're switching to DS here soon, so channel 10 will become channel 10.1 and simulcast channels will be 10.2, 10.3, etc. However, those channels are broadcast on a totally different frequency and such.

Simply put, 10 analog, 10 digital, and 10 HDTV have nothing in common. :p

The digital channel numbers do not necessarily correspond to their positions in relation to analog channels (x.1 do, others may not), but the carrier wave frequencies are placed between existing channels.

I'll use channel 8 as an example, as it is a fairly commonly used high VHF channel.

Lower Limit: 180 MHz
NTSC Carrier (analog 8): 181.25 MHz
ATSC Carrier (digital 8.1): 181.31 MHz
Audio Carrier: 185.75 MHz
Upper Limit: 186 MHz

I'm in the same boat (contrary to what the "other" thread may give for an impression).

It's not called Top Gear, likely because BBC America already shows a show called Top Gear, and discovery channel ran the show before that.

That's not the reason. There are many BBC shows that get American versions with exactly the same name. What Not To Ware comes to mind.

The reason they won't call it Top Gear here is because the phrase "top gear" isn't used here. People don't say "I'm in top gear", they say "I'm in fifth". So, the name would lack meaning for people. They'd go "Top Gear"? What's that show about? Thus the more universal and American friendly Gear.