"Client Version is banned" error

DarkBahamut said:
Just to add about ABC (which i use myself). The latest version of ABC (2.6.9) says its based on Bit Tornado 0.2.0.

Now, wouldnt that make it an 'old' client? Even if the client itself is up to date, if that client its based off it old, its not likely to support these new features. And may explain why theres alot of old clients on the tracker maybe?
Only versions of BitTornado older than 0.2.0 are old. So 0.2.0 and newer are "good" ;)

How bout the edonkey Pro 2000 with the BT Plugin?

bigfoot1942 said:
DarkBahamut said:
Just to add about ABC (which i use myself). The latest version of ABC (2.6.9) says its based on Bit Tornado 0.2.0.

Now, wouldnt that make it an 'old' client? Even if the client itself is up to date, if that client its based off it old, its not likely to support these new features. And may explain why theres alot of old clients on the tracker maybe?
Only versions of BitTornado older than 0.2.0 are old. So 0.2.0 and newer are "good" ;)

Sadly, the UDP protocol referred is not very widely supported at all.

http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=3064

I gather that the "main" bittorrent is looking at alternative ways of doing this and BitTornado, ABC and other "main" based bt clients are not going to jump until they all agree.

Kind of leaves me without my weekly Top Gear fix in a couple of days. No good BT clients on Linux left. :(

Christian

:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
Im using BitTorrent 3.4.2. What about it? There is no new version available of this software. Why all this man i just dont understand...
:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

wow gaurav_200 dude, maybe switch to decaf?

Mainline 3.4.2 is fine.

On the off chance that anyone here is running BitTorrent from the console in Linux, you should really consider switching to BitTornado, it's quite a bit faster and the curses interface is way cleaner.

Interesting:

[Top Gear - 2004.12.12.avi.torrent] - rejected by tracker [http://bigfoot1942.weedns.com:6969/announce] - Client Version is banned. Check with the tracker administrator

Yet the client (G3 v0.998a) used is still xfering the file up and down none the less. I also have tried the updated G3 (newer release) but it loves to crash alot for some reason I ahve not yet pinpointed.

Shalimar said:
Interesting:

[Top Gear - 2004.12.12.avi.torrent] - rejected by tracker [http://bigfoot1942.weedns.com:6969/announce] - Client Version is banned. Check with the tracker administrator

Yet the client (G3 v0.998a) used is still xfering the file up and down none the less. I also have tried the updated G3 (newer release) but it loves to crash alot for some reason I ahve not yet pinpointed.
your client already has collected some peers, so thats why you can still up-and download. getting new torrents would be a problem though ;)

bigfoot1942 said:
Both the newest versions of Azureus and BitComet are good to go.
Azureus uses more system resources (up to 100MB) but is faster and very userfriendly imho. so i would recommend that if you have enough memory.
BitComet is way lighter and a little bit slower.

The older versions of Azureus are much better then the newer versions. I believe that the people making Azureus are having some problems with their Java stuff. Upgrading to the newer versions means that I will be stuck with a buggier slower program that is more likely to crash.

i think you have some problems with your Java stuff, or with your hardware. Azureus 2.2.0.0 has NEVER crashed on me.

bigfoot1942 said:
i think you have some problems with your Java stuff, or with your hardware. Azureus 2.2.0.0 has NEVER crashed on me.
Nor I and the old one used to crash on me.

Make sure you have the latest version of Java.

question

question

bigfoot1942 >>>>> PLEASE TELL ME IS SHAREAZA OLSO OLD ?? COUSE I CANT DOWNLOAD THE NEW TopGear epizode :|

If so send me a name of a NEW BT Client that I can use !!

THX

for names of clients (and version numbers): check the start-post

Re: question

Re: question

doktur said:
bigfoot1942 >>>>> PLEASE TELL ME IS SHAREAZA OLSO OLD ?? COUSE I CANT DOWNLOAD THE NEW TopGear epizode :|

If so send me a name of a NEW BT Client that I can use !!

THX
Sharezza is a pile of crap. It doesn't even properly support the BT protocol.

Re: "Client Version is banned" error - don't use o

Re: "Client Version is banned" error - don't use o

bigfoot1942 said:
i will start banning old clients from using the tracker anytime soon.

This is because they demand much more upload from the tracker than the new clients. (this is because the new clients support "compact tracker protocol", also called "UDP tracker client protocol" and the old clients dont.)

This way i can help seeding, and it allows me to configure the trackers in a way that would increase download speeds in general, and allows the tracker to handle more clients.

edit:
for short:
Code:
clients that are cosidered "old" are:
- ABC < v2.6.7
- Azureus < v2.0.8.2
- BitComet < v0.53
- BitTornado < v0.2.0
- Mainline < v3.4.1
- TorrentStorm < v1.2.2
- Ed2k Bittorrent Plugin < 0.0

update:
I implemented the ban rules, so if youre still able to connect youre fine ;)

Well, thats hosed my unix client.

Anyone know of a non GUI BT client for FreeBSD? other than the one in the 'ports' collection??

Is this going to be a permanent change or a temporary one? Is this the tracker thats used for every Top Gear / Fith Gear realease, or just: Top Gear - 2004.12.12.avi.torrent ?

Cheers,

Marc.