Game: Who likes Classic / Retro Gaming?

Carmen's Revenge

Car(s)
Big Kitten, Small Bike
New games are all pomp and glam, but IMO, if I really wanted a "thinking man's" gaming experience, I prefer the old games where everything resembled a labour of love, not a half-assed "sequel" thrown together so fast, it didn't have a singleplayer campaign, or even a manual.

Here's a few examples across the gaming genre:

1. Driving/Road Racing

My favourite has to be Need for Speed : Porsche Unleashed, because vehicle handling 'felt' quasi realistic unlike newer titles which had magical traction control and exaggerated sense of speed just for the sake of inflating everyone's "go-fast" egos.

2. First Person

Deus Ex - because it's awesome in gameplay and it didn't try too hard with the "futuristic world" image unlike the new one next year. We will not have megacities in the sky in 17 years, but some suburbs around here remind me of the game world of Deus Ex the Original : I'm the futuristic one but everything around me looks 50 years outdated :p

3. Giant Robots

Mechwarrior 3 felt like a simulation game where you were piloting something that weighed as much as a small house, and maneuvered as slowly as one. It took effort to aim weapons, especially the autocannons on arm mounts. It took talent to drive the mech, attack on the move and fire accurately, three separate in-brain processes at once, so you can if you wish write a Battletech novel between gaming sessions. It was immersive.

Contrast this with Mechwarrior 4 which had far more simplified vehicle and fire control, so even the largest, most powerful of battlemechs felt no more difficult to handle than a Honda Civic in Need for Speed Underground 2.

4. Strategy

Steel Panthers World at War remains to date an excellent 2D sandbox style World War 2 tactical simulation due to painstakingly researched weapon and vehicle performance, while you could learn a thing or two about historical grand strategy from Gary Grigsby's Pacific War (SPWAW and an enhanced version of PacWar can be acquired free from www.matrixgames.com)

The original Mechcommander also played far, far better than its Microsoft successor, Mechcommander 2. We had discussions about BattleTech tactics and strategy in elementary school thanks to Mechcommander, while MC2 has all the complexity of a kindergarten curriculum.

Plus, the voice and video acting was so much better in the old one (much corporate sarcasm in the intro movie! :D)

So, who still plays these classics? They are even more fun because the $100 netbooks of today can run these games. Lets you blow away any PSP-wielding kiddo in the subway because they're playing elementary school games while everyone's watching you take on the Soviet Navy using authentic period tactics in Jane's Fleet Command NWS v15.x. How epic is that!?

Warning: Clarksonism:
The old games were educational, and yielded great dividends in raising today's generation of managers because we roleplayed senior military officers. Todays simplified flashy crap means that tomorrow's world will be only interested in fragging everyone in sight for personal gain.... or at least, it does resemble that part of the world where I live, where no one can type in proper sentences on MSN, much less actually work together to solve today's problems. As such, the children suffer!

Last edited:
Mechwarrior 3? Bah, MW2 is where it's at! The most basic in VGA 3D graphics and that Redbook CD soundtrack that paused the game every time the track rewound to the beginning.

Mech2 is next on my acquisition list!

There's also an improved version in the works by MekTek.net !

been playing some twisted metal 2 recently :)

Okay I will have to check that out. What a ball of fun :D

The Rush franchise was awesome... I play that sometimes!

Also, I should reinstall my Command and Conquer. The origoinal, such a good game

Wow I never tried SP:MBT - bookmarked!

While we're on the subject, if y'all want a tank simulator with authenticity, look no further than Steel Beasts. No one makes a tank SIM these days, only the arcade crap. I want to learn how to use a real laser rangefinder and a real tank sight, dammit! And the AI is a challenge, too, which is very rare.

Steel Beasts 2 unfortunately, seems to be a military training product.

Generally, I don't play games much, but recently I've been playing a lot of NFS:pU lately and its wonderful. So much better than the latest Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

I've also recently re-started playing the original Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I'm hooked.
There are a few other old games I like, like the original Gobliiins, and Lemmings. I need to reinstall Lemmings now that I'm thinking of it (or find that online version someone made in DHTML).

I also want to find my original CD for Terminator: Future Shock

Need for Speed Underground!

The second title in that sub-series (Underground 2) was actually my first "modern" car game. Believe it or not I "discovered" Porsche 2000 a bit later than that.

I needed some target-stopping help when I took my motorcycle and car licenses back in 2005 so I drilled myself using Underground 2. It was brilliant. Once I drove without hitting the walls in any of NFS:U2's road courses, I knew I could pass the rest of my lessons with ease.. and I did. The fun thing was when the instructor in the driving school Civic asked me to demonstrate understeer:

We were cruising along at driving circuit speeds doing the usual practice maneuvers and then out of the blue, he ordered me to floor it. I looked to my left to confirm the instruction to race off, was given the green light in eye contact, and I did. Asked me to keep the pedal down. I am in fourth gear and we are approaching a ninety degree bend in the road. Still floor it further... and TURN!

He wanted me to experience understeer from an overspeed corner entry. I cheated.

I knew what understeer was and a moment before the corner I lifted off the gas and swung the wheel over - lift-off oversteer! The car tracked perfectly and recovered from the sharp turn in the same lane. Hard on the gas on the exit to straighten the FWD chassis :D

The locals however think I'm some illegal racing speed freak when I say this, for some reason. I felt it was brilliant because a computer game was used to help train a crucial real life skill, i.e., not a waste of time. Lmao!

To this day, I wonder why other peoples' learner cars always plod along at 20kph. I didn't hold up any traffic when I had an L plate...

Last edited:
I've been having fun with Sonic the Hedgehog II recently (downloaded onto my Wii).

[video=youtube;PtDl-0B5U-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDl-0B5U-g[/video]

I would really love a chance to play Aces of the Pacific again. That flight sim, and Pearl Jam, defined my middle school years.

[video=youtube;-rndsUKy2Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rndsUKy2Cs[/video]

Last edited:
WWII Flight Simulator: Pacific Theater

That game was tons of fun.

Also I have my SNES hooked up to my TV, but I don't play it that often because I lost my Super Mario and now only have Yoshi's Island and Looney Tunes B-Ball, both of which I'm not hugely fond of.

Being a Nintendo guy during my childhood meant I lost out on playing a many of the Playstation's games. So lately my PS2 has gotten the most use because of games I never played during my childhood. Things like Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission III, Xenogears and at the moment Super Robot Wars F. Just a lot of gaming to go through especially if you missed out on a library as vast as the original Playstation's.

jesus fuck you guys make me feel old... I click retro gaming thinking i am going to get some NES or Sega Genisis era talk and its all games from my late highschool early college days...

That said:

i have been playing a lot of the following recently
- System Shock 2 (it was Deus Ex before Deus Ex was Deus Ex)
- Total Anihilation
- Independence war
- Decent: Free Space 1/2
- Janes WWII fighters

Needless to say i have been pushing my ATi 5850 hard

jesus fuck you guys make me feel old... I click retro gaming thinking i am going to get some NES or Sega Genisis era talk and its all games from my late highschool early college days...

You were 9 when SMB3 (that I mentioned) came out :p

EDIT: Or 7 if you go by the Japanese release date :p:p