Your worst traffic annoyances

i just thought of something else:
a couple of days ago one of my neighbours was angry with someone because he had parked on the right side of the street facing the other way. (meaning he had parked pointing in the wrong direction). now, why the hell would you possibly have a problem with that?

In UT it's illegal. *shrugs*

because he is a German? :p

absolutely right (i'm serious). It's something about the germans that makes them a) follow every law and b) try to enforce it themselves by being an arse.

after all the german bashing, i'd like to humbly point out that even though i live here, i'm not actually german. :blink:

about people taking up to much parking space, what i do instead of taking two existing spaces is create a new one. preferrably on the pavement (where it doesnt bother anyone that is). It's perfectly legal so long as you leave a gap wide enough for a double wide pushchair (that's actually true) and a lot of people think it's illegal so they don't park there. However, i have also been in situations where house owners were angry with me for parking there, but i get a kick out of explaining to someone how wrong he is, so that's okay as well.

edit:

In UT it's illegal. *shrugs*

It's illegal here as well. That's the point.

Something else that bugs me is people complaining about the noise of my motocylce. Now, i dont have one of these japanese screamers. It's an old two cylinder that sounds quite growly and, if you ask me, is lovely to listen to. However, people dont seem to like it when i provoke misfires when coasting to a junction. I don't get it, it sounds much better than some gangster rap out of a honda civics million watt stereo.

Last edited:
Identify with 99% of posts here already.

I live in a high volume International tourist destination.....need I say more?

:rolleyes:

GG

passengers with their legs out the window -- usually girls with great legs that I can only imagine as amputees or corpses. Get your fucking feet into the god damn car and take you top off if you want to show off. I always drive really close to to the yellow line when i see these cars coming because if she hits my car its the drivers fault for not controlling their passengers. Oh god it gives me blood lust seeing these girls because how dumb to you have to be. Remember in Grindhouse when the girls leg goes flying that is what I want.

That and people who drive with their high beams on in areas with street lamps, well marked lanes, houses. Look if you think that driving with high beams lets you drive faster your missing the point you shouldn't be driving that speed in the first place.

Right now, New York City is under some serious ticketing blitz (the mayor won't admit it, but everyone knows).

Anyway, all the fines are ridiculously expensive and all the traffic agents are hard-asses now. I got a ticket for double-parking during an alternate side parking day. The fine: $115. Ouch.

absolutely right (i'm serious). It's something about the germans that makes them a) follow every law and b) try to enforce it themselves by being an arse.
Yeah, I mean it's true. The good comes with the bad, and that's one of the things Germans just do.

after all the german bashing, i'd like to humbly point out that even though i live here, i'm not actually german. :blink:
Me neither, but I've spent enough time here for it to wear off on me.

I really hate it when people don't use their signals. I don't mind so much for protected turns, but for 70 MPH lane-changes it's just dumb.

I also hate when people merge halfway... and stay there. They straddle the lane line for like a year and THEN decide that it's safe. Cars won't fall over on a lane change. USE THE WHEEL!

AND I hate it when people stop WAY short of a light, then creep forward. WTF. Literally the other day I saw a car do this and the bumper sticker said "give peace a chance". She apparently worked for some city office or something retarded. I'm a somewhat slow driver, I'm not rushed by anything, but even though a brake early and light at at least pull up to where I'm supposed to.

The number one thing that pisses me off in traffic is people that tear down a service lane next to the road then expect to be let back out where it remerges with the traffic, half the time it's the FUCKING reason that the traffic is moving like shit.

Basically i just dislike inattentive drivers or Anybody who does more then one thing "wrong." My Tolerance for speed is infinite if your a pristine driver, but if your trying to do anything other then driving while going quickly then like most people i turn into a angry bitter old man.

Even though i hate congestion due to people going 5mph under, if said person is signaling, stopping properly, and paying attention then no problem.

Same with cellphones or shaving/combing hair. If your being a excellent driver otherwise then its fine, but once you start cutting people off in the left lane while not signaling i feel the need to go GTA on your ass.

The winner) People speeding
"What?" i hear you say, but stay with me on this one. I don't care about someone doing 70km/h on a big empty road in town, or the rep in his benz doing 250kph on the derestricted bits of the autobahn. What i'm talking about is reckless speeding, particulary in rubbish cars, on tiny roads. Even though i get that a lot, i'm glad i havent yet had to watch someone "learn from his mistake". Just a matter of time though. Another thing that bugs me about speeding is, when you have to follow someone and he's just the tyniest bit above the speed at which you loose your license when cought. Saturday night, when there's policemen with laser guns on every corner.

People say the germans have excellent road behaviour. If that's true, driving in the rest of the world must be a nightmare :lol:

what are your worst experiences on the road?

I know your probably reasonable about speed, hell you might even be quicker then most of the people around here if stuck in my enviroment, but it still stings whenever i read something like this. You say 70 Kph is about the limit around town, here (maybe because of the way our cities were built all square like and with cars in mind) 70KPH is slow unless your in a school section. Then you mention crappy cars, well what if your a excellent driver in your crappy car??

More Importantly though, were you recommending Bavaria? Because you guys do have the best shorts ever created, even if they only get worn a few times a year. <3

Last edited:
People who don't pull into the intersection when preparing to make a left turn.

I'm fairly certain its illegal to sit in the middle of the intersection while waiting to make a left turn. You are supposed to wait at the stop line until you can pull out and complete the turn without stopping again.

I'm fairly certain its illegal to sit in the middle of the intersection while waiting to make a left turn. You are supposed to wait at the stop line until you can pull out and complete the turn without stopping again.

I believe you are correct sir.

What drives me nuts is people who are in a downtown or congested area and the traffic in front of them stops for a light, but they drive through the intersection and stop in the middle of the intersection because they can't make it all the way through.

Then the light turns green for me, and I can't bloody go anywhere b/c some asshats couldn't wait one damned minute for traffic to clear up. One day I literally was millimeters from his driver's side door and stopped and just started to lay on the horn.

Was I an asshole? Yes, but don't block the damned intersection.

GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE

10MPH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU FOR THE LEFT LANE.

WHEN SOMEONE COMES UP BEHIND YOU TRAVELING AT A HIGHER RATE OF SPEED AND HIGH BEAMS YOU TO MOVE INTO THE 2 OTHER COMPLETELY EMPTY LANES-

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

You say 70 Kph is about the limit around town, here (maybe because of the way our cities were built all square like and with cars in mind) 70KPH is slow unless your in a school section.

Well, it's probably not a good thing to say, but 70kph is about my personal limit because that's the speed at which you get points on your license :lol:
The limit in the city is 50kph, 20 more and you'll get points, 30 more and your license is gone (pretty much, it's a little complicated) At any rate there's a rather low fine even if you exceed the speed limit at 1kph (allthough there are tolarances of i believe 5%) What's more, rather than putting speed cameras up, almost all traffic monitoring is done by policemen. So you're not even safe on a motocycle with no numberplate at the front.

The exception of course being the strucually quite important A40. Here's what wikipedia says about the A40: "It has officially been named Ruhrschnellweg (Ruhr fast way), but locals usually call it Ruhrschleichweg (Ruhr crawling way) or simply "the Ruhr area's longest parking lot".") Which is complete rubbish, at rush hour its totally jammed, yes, but at any other time it's 3 empty lanes of brilliant autobahn. Limited to 80 with about 5 speed cameras per kilometer. They're set to flash at 95kph, and you can probably guess how i found that out.

Rather more annoying i find driving in streets where the limit's 30, allthough 50 would be perfectly safe.

Then you mention crappy cars, well what if your a excellent driver in your crappy car??

Grant you that, it's a fair point.

More Importantly though, were you recommending Bavaria? Because you guys do have the best shorts ever created, even if they only get worn a few times a year. <3

Now that was someone else, i live in a part of germany were we make almost as much fun of bavarians as the british do :)

I take up a few spots with my car. but I also park in the back of the parking lot, where there are no cars. I don't want people to open their doors on my new paint.

I also get the flashes with my HID's, but I also put 8000k bulbs in so they are unlike 99% of the cars around here. So I just flash them with my high beams and blind the shit out of them. I think they might be adjusted a little too high. Ooops.

Funny. Everytime I see a Mass plate. I give berth.

back of the lot where there are tons of spaces I don't mind, but when people pull shit like this:

2335502619_4f06886bcc.jpg
it just drives me up a fucking wall. think of QT (QuikTrip) as a slightly larger and WAY nicer 7-Eleven. extremely busy and just flat out aren't enough spaces for anyone to ever do that. EVER!

also the parking the wrong way thing is for several reasons. 1: if you pull back out into traffic it's more hazardous to do so when facing hte wrong way, 2: you get he reflections from the brakelights when coming downt he street at two AM a bit better than when facing the opposite direction.

I only really get mad when I see people doing that in combination with other things... like this.

2335510865_60df9935aa.jpg

fire lane, wrong way, and the bitch wasn't paying attention to anyone else as she almost caused a crash right before that.

Last edited:
A couple of the above posters mentioned tailgating.

I WILL tailgate you if you are going too slow on the left lane and the middle and right lanes are open. Too slow is completely my definition, not the posted speed. You will get a light flash, then I will close upon your bumper if you do not move at the earliest opportunity. I don't do it often: most people get it, or the traffic density is too high to expect a higher rate of travel. I keep a safe distance in all other circumstances.

Likewise, if you are faster than me in the left lane, I will yield the lane to you as soon as it is safe to do so.

Grant you that, it's a fair point.

Oh course its a fair point :p, Its not like i learned nothing from 3 years of amateur racing, and atleast 5 years of intensive "cocking around" in vacant parking lots. I could perform fairly decent (less then 15% off angle, and to a tolerance of about 18 inches) Blues brothers U-parks, and a man needs to use his talents or he'll loose his talents. So yeah know, gotta fight for my right to party. I don't condone playing around when other people are in danger, but for that same reason i don't at all care for gatso's. 45MPH at 3:30PM is a completely differen't thing then 3:30AM, hell the cops around here even know that (one was nice enough to compliment me on choosing a vacant area and being concerned with my car-control skills) but robots don't.

To loosely paraphrase the American hero that is my avatar "i don't care to consort with those of the robot race"

Now that was someone else, i live in a part of germany were we make almost as much fun of bavarians as the british do :)

Your all just jealous! thats the problem. I think i meant Klankyman, crap.

SUPERAWESOMEEDITFTW: I forgot i rather hate tailgaters, as somehow tailgating seems to make people with worry complexes blame speeding as a cause of death even more so.

Last edited:
- People riding motorcycles without the proper attire (Shorts do not protect you! Neither do t-shirts or bandana's(i.e. no helmet)) I so wish for them to fall and reap the consequences of their stupidity (imagine bare skin sliding over an asfalt surface at 120km/h)
- Drivers who deliberately slow down, and who, while you're overtaking them, suddenly speed up to prevent this from happening. If you return to the lane without overtaking, they slow down again...
- People who let their children sit in the car without securing them (children seats, seatbelts). I don't care if adults don't wear them (if they die in a crash it's the result of their own ignorance), but since children aren't aware of the risks they shouldn't become the victims.

Things I have problems with:

- Idiots who don't switch on their lights at night

- Idiots who drive under the speed limit on the highway

- Idiots who cut 2-3 lanes at the last second to make a right turn

- Idiots who bother to indicate AFTER they've cut you off

- Idiots who leave a gap of more than one car at a traffic light, behind the car in front

- Idiots who hesitate when operating their vehicle (I know people who've been driving for years and are like this)

- Idiots who don't look at the left turn filter and take forever to make said turn

- People who cannot judge the distance and speed of oncoming cars at left turns and take forever to make said turn (I put this down to inexperience so they are not idiots)

Things I don't have problems with:

- Tailgaters

- Stupid parkers (Their stupidity just amuses me)

- People who cut you off (I find it offensive when they indicate after doing so. Either indicate beforehand, or don't do it at all)

- Speeders

- Yellow light beaters (I personally do it now and then, but it depends on my mood. Generally I don't, though)

- Xenon lights (I've got these myself)

-----------

The thing is, however, if I do get pissed off at someone while driving, then I have a few methods to get back at them.

Firstly: I tailgate slow people to speed them up in areas where I know police cruisers usually hide. I know when to back off, and I've gotten 2 people pulled over like this.

Second: A pair of my Xenons (the beams) are pointed slightly upwards, such that if I drive 25 feet (exactly 23 feet, actually) behind the car in front, my superwhites will blind them. I've had to do this maybe 10-15 times ever, but to great effect.

-------

On another note, and not exactly traffic related, but one thing that pisses me off more than ANYTHING else is people who key/scratch other people's cars, or dent them while opening doors in parking lots. One thing that I would NEVER EVER do to anyone's car, EVER, no matter whom it is, or no matter how much I dislike that car, is to key it. I respect cars way too much to let something like that happen, and when it happens to me I go absolutely ballistic. No one should EVER key another car, scratch it by other means, give it door dents, or knife soft tops. That's just not right in my opinion.

- People riding motorcycles without the proper attire (Shorts do not protect you! Neither do t-shirts or bandana's(i.e. no helmet)) I so wish for them to fall and reap the consequences of their stupidity (imagine bare skin sliding over an asfalt surface at 120km/h)

you're so right. Something else: Jeans. It seems some people just don't think, imagine you sliding down a road with jeans fibres integrating into your legs tissue. Jeans are about as safe as shorts.

and yet again i thought of something annoying: Kids on tuned scootes. I don't mind a nice engine note at all, but a 50cc scooter engine with an empty exhaust (those that you get from the smart people who rip all the kids who want to tune their scooters off) at 15.000 rpm is not a "nice engine note". It's pure and utter noise and they are flaming redicolous, toddling along at 45km/h (european limit for scooters). I had a scooter myself but i didnt go out and buy a 200? exhaust that makes your ears bleed to brag about how i now can go 60 instead of 50. It's just stupid. Just as stupid as spending 5000? on a scooter that does 45kph, but thats another thread...

A couple of the above posters mentioned tailgating.

I WILL tailgate you if you are going too slow on the left lane and the middle and right lanes are open. Too slow is completely my definition, not the posted speed. You will get a light flash, then I will close upon your bumper if you do not move at the earliest opportunity. I don't do it often: most people get it, or the traffic density is too high to expect a higher rate of travel. I keep a safe distance in all other circumstances.

Likewise, if you are faster than me in the left lane, I will yield the lane to you as soon as it is safe to do so.

Thank you so much. I hate people who hog the left lane when they drive slow. Move out of the damn way. I ALWAYS move out of the left lane if i see a guy coming up to my car and he looks to be driving faster then me, i dont understand why others just REFUSE to do so.

The worst drivers in my opinion are the indecisive drivers who are scared of driving. They drive slowly and are extremely slow in lane changes and such. This is VERY dangerous since it is impossible to predict what they are going to do next since even they dont know what they are doing. I simply hate these types and they seriously need to get off the damn road. Heck, i much prefer agrssive drivers who cut me off since at least they know where they are going. I actually dont mind people who cut me off as long as they dont block my way after they cut me off.