Youtube video better quality than scene rip of TG?

Mercury

Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
I just watched the F1 vs Veyron race on youtube and midway I started thinking "this looks better than the rip I have..."

So I decided to put them one next to the other and well...the YT vid looks better...Once you click that HD button it simply looks better, which surprised me as at first i was pretty sure the source was the scene rip, now I'm not so sure... Is there a better rip out there that I'm not aware of??

[youtube]tVlbvxd0Q10[/youtube]

Am I blind or does this look better to you guys as well?

There are a couple other sites where individuals offer their better, higher-res x264 rips.

Or the YT uploader could have capped it live and encoded it himself........

I'm losing faith in the scene little by little...........their rips aren't anywhere near the highest quality, and the latest RiVER rips have been stopping the video at 15 min into the episode on my 360....

Last edited:
I just watched the F1 vs Veyron race on youtube and midway I started thinking "this looks better than the rip I have..."

It certainly does not look better to me, it looks like the priotities in encoding seem to be different: While the absolute pixel resolution and resulting edge sharpness seems to be better, the overall picture quality is worse. Especially even-colored surfaces like the bodys of the cars seem to "wobble" as the codec struggles with reflections and camera angle changes, up to an almost VHS look.
All in all, i prefer the rips lack of pixel resolution over the YT streams lack of actual quality/sharpness.

I'm losing faith in the scene little by little...........their rips aren't anywhere near the highest quality, and the latest RiVER rips have been stopping the video at 15 min into the episode on my 360....

The solution for this problem has been posted for a few days now, maybe you should rather lose faith in your ability to search this forum :p

The youtube uploader probably ran a good deinterlace filter or one of many other filters when upscaling to HD, that way it can look better to the eye than a lot of normal SD videos.

So I decided to put them one next to the other and well...the YT vid looks better...Once you click that HD button it simply looks better, which surprised me as at first i was pretty sure the source was the scene rip, now I'm not so sure... Is there a better rip out there that I'm not aware of??

[youtube]tVlbvxd0Q10[/youtube]

Do you watch the rips on your PC or TV? I watch them on my LCD TV and they look brilliant, they look quite bad on the PC.

The solution for this problem has been posted for a few days now, maybe you should rather lose faith in your ability to search this forum :p

That's absurd. We shouldn't have to run the file through another program to fix it just because RiVER forgot how to properly join two recordings........:blink:

I'm grateful that we can get the rips in the first place, but a little disappointed that the two recent ones don't "just work" like all of the others....

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal, it's just a little annoyance that shouldn't have to be there in the first place.........

Last edited:
That's absurd. We shouldn't have to run the file through another program to fix it just because RiVER forgot how to properly join two recordings........:blink:

I'm grateful that we can get the rips in the first place, but a little disappointed that the two recent ones don't "just work" like all of the others....

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal, it's just a little annoyance that shouldn't have to be there in the first place.........
Then shut up about it and deal! Sorry if I seem rash but just taking a few minutes to watch it in better quality is worth it, although my PS3 plays it fine.

...the main deal is that some lazy programmer at M$ programmed a Video player for the XBox that obviously can't handle the slightest AVI error, while every other player on the planet can :p.

Top Gear is broadcast in SD. There's only so much source resolution to deal with and the Scene rips aren't downscaled much AFAIK.

Dude... we can all watch the eps hours after they air because of RiVER torrents. STFU.

Dude... we can all watch the eps hours after they air because of RiVER torrents. STFU.
Which is why I wrote this:
me said:
.....so relax. :lol:

But anyway, if RiVER wasn't around to cap an ep, another scene group would likely take over. Failing a scene rip, there are a few individuals who cap it and upload it, so it's a good chance that you're still going to be able to find an ep of TG, albeit slightly later than a scene release.

Top Gear is broadcast in SD. There's only so much source resolution to deal with and the Scene rips aren't downscaled much AFAIK.

1007x572 (individual rip)
vs
640x352 (scene rip)

Could be worse ;)

Scene is super-quick, decent quality and widely available, at least, so they could be the best option.

Last edited:
...the main deal is that some lazy programmer at M$ programmed a Video player for the XBox that obviously can't handle the slightest AVI error, while every other player on the planet can :p.

And that I think is the true answer.

Do you watch the rips on your PC or TV? I watch them on my LCD TV and they look brilliant, they look quite bad on the PC.
I watch them on my LCD using my PS3 as the player. I had no issues with the scene rips as far as the AVI being messed up (guess PS3 handles it better than xbox?) but on my PC monitor the YT one simply looks better. Sharper edges and better detailing of background scenery. I'll try it on my PS3 tonight and i'll try to see if there's a difference.

1007x572 (individual rip)
vs
640x352 (scene rip)

See... that's the problem with "individual rips": some people obviously go to great lengths to prove their e-penis is bigger. In this case, the person who encoded the "individual rip" tricked you into thinking you're getting almost HD resolution.
As BBC2 broadcasts (and produces!) Top Gear in 576i PAL format, which equals a resolution of 720?576, the scene rip is a bit smaller in resolution, which means that the compression rate can be set to a lower level compared to a 720x576 file of the same size, thus resulting in a better overall image quality.
The "individual rip", on the other hand, has the resolution upscaled for no reason at all but to fool downloaders. While adding nothing in picture quality (if there are only x pixels in the source, you won't get a quality gain from adding extra pixels which contain no information not present in the original file. On the other hand,the higher resolution still has to be compressed, thus resulting in a larger file, a worse picture quality or even both.

As i said a gazillion times in the TG in HD thread: Especially when it comes to picture quality, bigger does not equal better, neither in resolution nor in fps, as long as bandwidth/file size is a factor.

See... that's the problem with "individual rips": some people obviously go to great lengths to prove their e-penis is bigger. In this case, the person who encoded the "individual rip" tricked you into thinking you're getting almost HD resolution.
As BBC2 broadcasts (and produces!) Top Gear in 576i PAL format, which equals a resolution of 720?576, the scene rip is a bit smaller in resolution, which means that the compression rate can be set to a lower level compared to a 720x576 file of the same size, thus resulting in a better overall image quality.
The "individual rip", on the other hand, has the resolution upscaled for no reason at all but to fool downloaders. While adding nothing in picture quality (if there are only x pixels in the source, you won't get a quality gain from adding extra pixels which contain no information not present in the original file. On the other hand,the higher resolution still has to be compressed, thus resulting in a larger file, a worse picture quality or even both.

As i said a gazillion times in the TG in HD thread: Especially when it comes to picture quality, bigger does not equal better, neither in resolution nor in fps, as long as bandwidth/file size is a factor.
Bingo. When you're aiming for 700MB, it's a tradeoff of resolution vs. bitrates.

Who said we were aiming for 700MB? Does anyone actually backup single top gear eps to CDs anymore? The broadcast-res rip is closer to 1GB.

On the resolution, technically you're right, there's only 720x576 pixels worth of data, but it stretches to 1007x576 because its anamorphic widescreen.

In the end, I still think the broadcast resolution rip looks better, but it is still slower than the scene rip by a day or so......

Who said we were aiming for 700MB? Does anyone actually backup single top gear eps to CDs anymore? The broadcast-res rip is closer to 1GB.
I quite like the 700mb rips because they don't take dogs years to download if you're on a slower connection and they still look just as good as a standard 1:1 TV rip.

Personally, I download and help seed the 700mb file on here, but cut my own personal copy down to ~350mb or so. Just to save space.

Why not go to 5GB? Or 10GB? Why not lossless? Gotta draw the line somewhere and made a tradeoff for filesize vs. quality.

Exactly. I was simply showing that when they keep the full resolution, they bump up the filesize to match.

I'll try a little car analogy for you guys: :D

Scene rip: Murci?lago LP640 - Good quality, fast, balanced.

"Full" rip: Murci?lago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce - Just that "little bit more" to make it great.

Last edited:
Scene rip: Murci?lago LP640 - Good quality, fast, balanced.

"Full" rip: Murci?lago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce - Just that "little bit more" to make it great.
If I had 'Just that little bit more' added to my hard drive space, you're buying me a new hard drive.